Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage Dish on Gossip Girl
Gossip Girl executive producers Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz recently spoke with New York Magazine and offered some interesting insight on what's to come on this and future seasons of Gossip Girl. Here are a few items ...
- The cast will, indeed, go to college next year. "One of the problems with 90210, for example, was that their stage was high school," Savage said. "We feel like ours is New York." There are many colleges in New York, they explained, pointing out that the education element is not central to the show. They don't even have a classroom set. "And some of them won't go to school, let's be honest," Schwartz joked.
- Even though Kelly Rutherford (Lily van der Woodsen) is pregnant, they won't be writing a baby into the script. "We'll write around it," Savage said.
- New York, and the Palace Hotel specifically, are great places to film - and are happy to embrace even a show that depicts underage drinking, drug use, and limo sex. "When we filmed The OC, we couldn't even get a permit to fly a helicopter over the beach," Schwartz said. "We're grateful New York has lower standards."
- There will be (as one commenter pointed out) a new villain introduced soon: Jack Bass, uncle of Chuck! Dum Dum DUM!
- Savage and Schwartz loved Ed Westwick from the moment he came in to read (for the role of Nate!). "But he looks like a serial killer!" the network protested.
- Some of our beloved characters will be returning! "You might not have seen the last of Georgina Sparks," Schwartz said. "It's hard to imagine a boarding school for bad girls in Idaho would be able to hold her for long," Savage added.