This wasn't the funniest episode of the season. But that says a lot more about Modern Family in general than the episode itself.
Before we list our favorite lines and scenes from "Fears," a quick, fun fact: most of the fears depicted this week were based on real-life issues that plague the actors. Rico Rodriguez, for example, really is afraid of roller coasters.
As for what we liked best from the half hour...
- Manny's fishing hat. This slayed me for some reason. You'd think the joke about an 11-year old never acting his age would get old, but you'd be mistaken.
- Manny's "legendary salmon." See point made directly above.
- Phil and Luke's "truce."
- Phil's reference to NASA in trying to defend the use of Luke's robot. Exactly the same thing, it's true.
- Claire's dancing and Alex's great response: I understand you and dad so much better now.
- Jay only understands about 20% of what goes on around his house.
- Stereotypes. Cam and Mitchell's storyline was probably the weakest of the four, but it was made worthwhile with the joke about lesbians on motorcycles and then with the Asian doctor backing into a garbage can. Great stuff.
Also on the positive side: The speech at the end didn't feel as forced or as cheesy as many others on the show have.
Phil's point that parents never outgrow their fears of letting go and/or worrying about their children must have hit home for any adult watching.
Below, we've posted a few of our favorite Modern Family quotes from the episode:
Phil: We're like Ponce de Leon and his son... little Ponce. | permalink
Phil: You never want your kids to see you scared. You want to be that rock that they grab a hold of in a stormy sea. Actually, a rock would sink. So a floating rock. | permalink
Jay: I could have guessed he'd have trouble with roller coasters. That kid gets woozy at barbershops when they spin his chair towards the mirror. | permalink
Gloria: Manny, you were afraid to light the barbecue, but now your eyebrows have grown back and your salmon is legendary! | permalink
Mitchell: Take it down a notch. We're just trying to make a friend not initiate a three-way. | permalink
Want more Modern Family?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!