Royal Pains Summer Finale Review: "Open Up Your Yenta Mouth and Say Ah"
While our friends, family, and even fellow TV Fanatic critic have not been huge fans of this season of Royal Pains, we have to admit we've been a much bigger fans of this season than the previous.
The first season was like taking a vacation. It was very relaxing, had some beautiful sights, and plenty of easy going humor along the way. However, the first season seemed to lack any real direction and only began introducing potential problems at the end.
This time around, Hank Med saw some actual competition in the form of Emily, gave Boris his own Cuban adventures and love interest, fleshed out a friendship between Jill and Divya, heavily exploring the latter's arranged marriage, introduced us to the Lawson patriarch and his set of legal and money problems, and finally gave Evan a love interest.
There were definitely a lot of loose ends to tie up, so as you can imagine, we had some huge expectations going into the Royal Pains season two, err summer finale of the show. So in our review of "Open Up Your Yenta Mouth and Say Ah," we're going to go over each particular storyline and cover how well we felt the finale wrapped it up and what we thought of the cliffhanger(s).
We'll start with a base of 1 star for our math. Good luck following it:
- Emily - Where was she? Besides being mentioned in brief passing, the girl didn't even show up despite Hankmed's plan to hire her last episode! -1 star.
- Boris - This character has simply become amazing this season. Finally getting Marissa into America and revealing she's pregnant? We got some fun stuff for next season. +1 star.
- Divya - While some of the Adam stuff has felt forced, we're just glad to have our girl cheating on Raj so she'll stick around. For keeping around our beautiful Divya? +1 star.
- Eddie - We've been trying to figure out what they planned on doing with the Fonz this whole season. Revealing him to be a SEC informant? Never saw it coming. Heart attack? A little cheese but we'll still go with +1 star.
- Evan and Paige - Absolutely no real developments in their relationship for a season finale, but just putting her adorableness on screen each week gives this +1 star.
- AJ - Usually the medical portion of the episode is well thought out and an integral part of the story. This time she was just a spy. Where was our amazing mystery condition? Okay fine, for at least contributing to the story line. +0.5 star.
- Set up for next season - Really I can't help but feel like the show didn't end on any real cliffhanger aside from Eddie's heart attack. A character we're barely attached to. -1 star.
So in the end, it was really a decent episode, but pretty mediocre for a season finale. We're not on the edge of our seasons awaiting the winter premiere of Royal Pains, but we'll definitely still watch it. Will you guys?
Now we'll leave you with some Royal Pains quotes until the show returns.
Royal Pains: "Open Up Your Yenta Mouth and Say Ah"
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.