I love you, Stefan. We will be together again. I promise. - Katherine
Forget vampires and werewolves. This episode depicted one thing: season two is a game of cat-and-mouse. On "Memory Lane," Stefan and Elena pulled one over on Katherine, as they tried to stay one step ahead of the blood sucker who seems intent on killing the latter.
Only, for the second time this season, Katherine spared Elena's life. And if her feelings are to be believed, it's not hard to see why.
Whether or not Katherine came back solely for Stefan (my vote: NOT!), the final flashback to 1864 proved that she really did love him. She promised him they'd be together, and it's a promise she intends to keep - but only if her love is truly reciprocated.
If she actually murders Elena, the odds of Stefan actually falling for her are lower than Mason Lockwood Facebook friending Damon. Katherine must somehow woo her former lover, remind him of their history and their bond and hope he comes back to her naturally.
That will never happen, you say? Are you sure? You did notice the look of painful confusion on Stefan's face when he learned Katherine never compelled his 19th century affection, didn't you?
Other questions that spring to mind from the episode:
- How unpopular was Jenna in high school?!? She hosts a barbecue so Alaric can get to know a few of her friends... and the only person to show up just moved back to town a couple weeks ago? Ouch.
- What song do you think Damon is best at in Guitar Hero? Probably something by Marilyn Manson. Or Taylor Swift.
- Seriously, what does the moon stone do? It's been passed on from George Lockwood to Tyler Lockwood, although the latter is as confused by it as we are. Still, it must be incredibly powerful for George to have taken the measures he did with Katherine.
- Who did Mason kill to become a werewolf?
- Can we really trust Mason? His speech to to Damon, about returning to town for the sake of his family, seemed sincere. But Damon didn't buy it for a second. He may have grown too aggressive (and ignorant) with the silver, but I'm still gonna side with his instincts when it comes to Mason.
- Has Caroline never faked an apology before, in order to eavesdrop on the conversation between her BFF and her boyfriend because a more powerful vampire is threatening her?!? You've gotta at least bring a friend along (what was Bonnie up to? Witches gotta eat!) and pretend as if you're there for other reasons. Sheesh!
Overall, a somewhat slow episode that gave us more background into Katherine and moved certain pieces into place. It's Stefan/Elena vs. Katherine/Caroline, with Damon caught in between, and a newly-angered werewolf stewing on the sidelines.
Call it a game of cat-and-mouse, or just call it the set stage for whatever The Vampire Diaries has in store next week. We can't wait to find out. How about you? Sound off now in our show forum and/or comment below!