Whether you enjoyed tonight's episode of It's Always Sunny, really comes down to whether you're a freak like me and have been waiting for the guys' production of Lethal Weapon 5 since the season premiere or not. That's because the screener of the fictional movie took up nearly half of the show's screen time.
The rest of the episode was very much a sequel to last week's "The Gang Gets a New Member," picking up directly after Dee and Charlie secured their jobs at the high school. And that's a good thing. We didn't get to really explore Charlie's "new career" last week.
Outside the Lethal Weapon scenes, Charlie was again stole the show as the Professor. Whether it was taking oranges out of the garbage, mentoring Richie, or really any scene between him and the Principal (Dave Foley), we were dying.
Dee, meanwhile, despite having the episode, "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth," named after her, really took a backseat this week. Outside her funny, yet disturbing way of informing her students she was their new teacher, her main role was getting the class to the bar for the screening. That took us to about the halfway mark.
From then on out it was Frank, Mac, Dennis and Charlie that dominated the show with LW5. Some of our favorite moments from the best sequel in the series:
- Frank only providing one green screen, giving his villain a half-casino/half-bar base.
- The very disgusting, very funny out-of-place sex scene. At least it was classy.
- Frank's villain? Reminded me of DeVito as the Penguin. Though way funnier.
- The original casting of Mac as Riggs and Dennis as Murtaugh? Terrible.
- After the switch? Mac's blackface? Dennis' horrible Australian accent? I'd watch that for the full 2 hour theatrical release.
- Charlie's inability to deliver his lines as the captain and being given three of the most ridiculous characters in the production.
Maybe we built up the movie-within-the-show too much in our heads and we lied to ourselves to enjoy it a little more, but we felt it made the episode. After you go through our favorite It's Always Sunny quotes, hope in with your opinions in the comments!
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.