The Television Critics Association’s summer press tour got underway last night with a British invasion: the cast of Downton Abbey took the stage in front of reporters and answered a number of questions related to Season 3.
“This season is about the recovery from the war,” said series creator Julian Fellowes. “There were those few years where people were trying to decide [if] the world was going to go back? Is it going to be the same as it was before? Was the future going to be completely different? That’s the theme of the [season].”
- A Season 3 trailer teased financial problems ahead for the Earl of Grantham and wedding-related tension between Matthew and Mary.
- Shirley MacLaine, who is coming on board as Cora's mother, Martha, was not very familiar with the show prior to signing on.
- Fellowes finds the 1920s "very interesting" and isn't anxious to set the series beyond that decade any time soon.
- New episodes will premiere on January 6, 2013 in the U.S.
- Hugh Bonneville unveiled a Free Bates T-shirt (below).