California, there they went... 10 years ago today.
On August 5, 2003, Fox debuted The OC, the teenage soap opera that, in many ways, led to Gossip Girl, 90210 and even The Real Housewives of Various Annoying Places.
It many have only survived four seasons - and only two of those seasons may truly be noteworthy - but The OC is a favorite of the TV Fanatic staff and we count down our favorite memories below.
5. Marissa is killed off (5/18/06). She was the character everyone loved to hate, the high school student who had seriously been through everything (and every gender) and the only member of the original core four who did not survive the series. Ryan carried the corpse of his troubled ex away from a car accident and a nation both wept and sort of celebrated.
4. The Spider-Man Kiss (2/24/05). Always aware of the latest pop culture event to both honor and satirize, Seth dropped down by the guest house roof and planted a memorable smooch on Summer.
3. Julie does Luke (2/24/04). Choosing from Julie Cooper's many bedroom adventures may have been this assignment's most difficult task - but how do we not go with the discovery that she was bedding her daughter's ex-boyfriend while also getting it on with her friend's father?
2. Welcome to the O.C., Bitch (8/5/03). The line that started it all. Luke's most lasting accomplishment, with the exception of number-three on this list.
1. Chrismukkah (12/3/03). One word. Years worth of memories and laughs. Seth Cohen introduced Chrismukkah to the world and the rest of small screen history.
As for the best quotes from four seasons of The OC? We came up with a few that stood out:
“I love shopping, tanning and celebrity gossip. Always have, always will.” - Summer Roberts
“You’re taking all that? You only own, like, a wifebeater and two hoodies.” - Seth to Ryan
“It’s a tale as old as time. Boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy finds out girl is surrogate mom’s illegitimate step-mother.” - Seth
“Chino? Eww.” - Summer
"Hey, Ryan. Ryan! I schmeared it for ya.” - Sandy
“Ah, it’s too bad because if we could’ve turned this into a body swap comedy, we could’ve squeezed another year or two out of this.” - Seth
Want more TV News?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!