A lot of secrets were revealed in The Tomorrow People Season 1 Episode 5.
Some of those were revealed on purpose, while others were given up a little more reluctantly. All of them came with consequences, though.
Once again, we saw how John was struggling to keep his people safe, while Cara wanted to let them live. I have a feeling this is going to be a continuing theme between these two and something tells me that it's not ever going to end well.
John thought all along that it was a bad idea for them to go out and party and boy was he ever right. Conversely, Cara did have a point too. After all, what is the use of them surviving down in that hole if they can't live a little?
When the party went to crap, it led to the first important secret when John was forced to kill someone in order to save Cara and his other friends' lives. That was a huge thing for her to discover and I have to wonder how this is going to affect their relationship from here on out.
Cara claimed that it wasn't really about him being a part of the Annex project and more about him keeping a secret, but doubt she'll be able to look at him the same way again. Does this mean that the sparks between Cara and Stephen may end up leading to something? Time will tell.
The second secret was Kurt's, which did not end well for him at all. I couldn't blame the guy for wanting to go home, but it sure did lead to heaps of trouble for everyone. That being said, I wasn't expecting Cara to lash out at him the way that she did.
Was Cara still stinging from the recent revelation about her boyfriend and wanting to prove that she could be tough, too? Or was this a side of her that's always been there and we just haven't seen yet? Either way, she might have more in common with John than she realizes.
The final secret was Stephen letting Astrid in on his crazy world. I new that this was going to happen eventually and frankly I'm happy that he's going to have someone in the human world that he can talk to about this stuff. Also, it will probably be very helpful to have Astrid there to help back up his lies and cover for him when he disappears.
I'm sure it will also inevitably lead to her getting herself into danger and needing to be rescued, but what else is a human friend there for in a show like this? Frankly I'd be more surprised if she didn't end up in some bad guy's lair at some point.
Overall, I'm still enjoying this show and really liked the character developments that we saw in this episode.
My favorite bits:
- Finding out that John and Cara used to teleport into places just for fun.
- Stephen nearly getting caught teleporting the serum into his hand.
- Russell grumbling when Cara promised John that he would behave himself.
- Everyone's reaction when Cara offered to jaunt John for the opportunity to go to the party.
- Stephen telling John that he needed to figure out how to be a leader without blaming him for his problems.
- Russell acting as announcer for the fight. Of course it was Russell.
- The fight going from boring to awesome in about two seconds flat. And no, that's not because of the shirtlessness of John. Okay, so it wasn't only because of that.
- Cara kicking John's butt.
- Russell and Cara going over the rules for attending human parties.
- Jedikiah telling Stephen to just be honest and he would be fine. Yeah, right.
- Oh, Stephen and Cara with the flirting. Sigh.
- The many colorful comments Russell made when Irene was dancing.
- John in the suit. That is all/
- Poor John and Cara having to interrupt their partying to go watch over the "kids."
- John discovering the D chips. Uh oh.
- Stephen realizing that Jedikiah had taken him to the party to trap all of his friends.
- Stephen getting his powers to work, despite the D chips. Nice!
- The John/Jedikah stare down.
- Cara realizing that John could kill.
- Cara telling John it wasn't what the secret was, it was that she kept it from him.
- Kurt admitting that he was the one who went to Ultra.
- Cara stabbing Kurt with the serum. Whoa, I definitely wasn't expecting that.
- Stephen jumping with Astrid. I know he's going to get in trouble, but I was happy he let his best friend in on his secret.