Teen Wolf this week was essentially a history lesson about Kira and her family.
We've known they were at the heart of the Nogitsune mystery, but to what extent on both the historical level and in the present was a bit surprising.
Really, Teen Wolf Season 3 Episode 21 didn't offer much in the way of forward movement in finding Stiles, although he did offer himself up in the end of his own accord. At one point even Scott pointed out to Noshiku -- but you haven't told us anything.
Exactly. Thanks for the Casablanca story about your love life and why you turned a dude into a Nogitsune by the "whoops" method, but it could have been told with less detail and still had as much impact.
It felt as if because a Japanese character was introduced, someone wanted to give not only a Teen Wolf history lesson, but an American one, as well. If you're of the later MTV generation, however, learning about atrocities is probably the norm in your high schools so the internment camps wouldn't come as a surprise.
In a nutshell, Noshiku is about 900 years old. Kitsune have a very difficult time being destroyed and never become ill. That's why when the flu hit her camp she was guaranteed to survive. Kira knows now why she's so incredibly healthy.
Noshiku fell in love with one of the military police, Reece, they learned a doctor was stealing medication meant for the interred and all hell broke loose. When the MPs killed everyone, an old lady was uncovered as a bitten werewolf. She fought back, igniting Noshiku's lover who died of burns. When Noshiku called upon their ancestors, she invoked the Nogitsune to avenge all of the terror that happened. Unfortunately, the trickster didn't inhabit her, but Reece's dead body instead.
Noshiku had to fight her dead lover to kill the Nogitsune. There were several points that I found rather disjointed. Here they are:
- Noshiku claims to be over 900 years old but only aged to adulthood within the last 70 years. Why?
- The Nogitsune that Noshiku called inhabited Reece's body, but that doesn't explain why he's still showing in his spirit form as the burned body. Wouldn't a Nogitsune have it's own form before it inhabits someone? The fly goes inside someone, but the fly looks like -- what?
- Noshiku seemed to think that everything happening in Beacon Hills could be laid at the hands of Scott, Isaac and Stiles for releasing the demon from the Nemeton when they sacrificed some of themselves to save their parents. She buried it there thinking it was a safe place. Maybe she could have erected a sign. How deep did she bury it with her bare hands? The flies were what caused their parents to go missing. Her attitude bothered me.
The other things from the evening are also suitable for list form, because it was more information dump than cohesive storytelling. Go ahead and take issue with that.
- Malia obviously found Scott even though she wasn't in the episode. She delivered the photo and the katana.
- We have confirmation on Kira's Kitusne status - Thunder!
- Stilinski and Allison in the elevator was one of the highlights of the season. It was especially touching when he told her he'd have a talk with Coach about her grade and that she sounded like a cop.
- It was nice to know that Allison is still thinking about Isaac because we've been given no update on his burned status. Here's hoping he comes back soon.
- They're really planting the seeds for us to think Derek's going to die. Does that make him the least likely candidate? For weeks the promos have shown him getting shot and tonight his name was on a chess board as the king and one step from check mate. I say red herring.
The week wasn't nearly as compelling as the last few installments have been, but maybe they just needed a break. At some point Kira's history had to be addressed, now we'll find out how it impacts the future of the show.
Do you need to see it again to catch what you missed? No problem! You can watch Teen Wolf online anytime.
Did you find Noshiku's story compelling?
Want more Teen Wolf?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!