Tournament of TV Fanatic
Comments by joyeful (Page 19)
TV Fanatic Staff Round Table: The Best Couple of 2011
12/23/2011 9:47 AM
Angela and Hodges from Bones - love those two.
And I can't believe there's no Chuck and Sarah on that list. Granted, the show's not as great as it used to be, but the two are great together.
A lot of people are listing non-couples-we-wish-were-couples in their comments. As much as I love Castle and Beckett, they're not a couple yet!!
Chuck Review: Awesome Short Cunnings
12/19/2011 10:53 AM
1. I really wish people would stop mentioning the previews in their comments for current episodes. Some of us actively avoid them (NBC is noted for terrible spoilers).
2. As a die hard fan of Chuck, I feel justified in saying that this was one of the worst episodes of the show. I can usually forgive plot holes, but this was just nuts. WHY would Ellie and Awesome not think first to call the actual spies, Chuck or Sarah, when they realized this wasn't their spy game? Chuck should be past being a whiny desperate scaredy cat, and his tech savvy brain should have come up with a better alternative than just giving away the virus. I understand that helps move the plot forward, but we didn't need that.
In any case, watching Ellie and Awesome try to save the day was a lot of fun,and Yvonne's acting was superb. The look of pure ice she gives Chuck after their rescue was positively chilling.
Once Upon a Time Round Table: "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"
12/16/2011 2:05 PM
1. I want to say no, just because a recurring theme of fairy tales is that there's always a loophole out of "death" by magic. Although killing him would raise the stakes.
2. It does look like it's just beneath Storybrooke.
3. I have no idea what he was doing! Are there any other fairy tales that involve gardening? One thing that's certain with Mr. Gold is that nothing occurring around him is innocent or coincidental.
4. UFC cage match (j/k). I'm pretty sure that Emma will become sheriff.
5. I'm gonna go with an A. I've been captivated so far by the story, and pleasantly surprised by Jennifer Morrison (I couldn't stand her before). I'm okay with the variable special effects - I don't think it adds or takes away from the story (hear that, Terra Nova??)
Chuck Round Table: "Chuck Versus the Hack Off"
12/16/2011 12:11 AM
I'm late on this one:
1. Favourite scene was the Community folks making an appearance - I was completely surprised by Yvette Nicole Brown. That was really cool - especially because we had Awesome on Community a few episodes ago.
2. Hmmm...since I'm not a techie, can I go with chores? I can clean an entire house to a UB40 soundtrack. Not sure why.
3. Sarah - advertising, spokeswoman. Casey - definitely customer retention. Morgan...scapegoat?
4. Jeffali! HA! I'd be fighting Yvette Nicole Brown over Vali...
5. I'm gonna go with a 9 - just because it's been a while since the show has dared to shock us like that. Between Casey's takedown and Decker's demise, this is feeling like Season 1 & 2 Chuck. I love it!
Golden Globe Award Nominees: New Girl, Homeland and More
12/15/2011 10:43 AM
man, you really hit the nail on the head when you said "confused and angered".
Is Dan Harmon just universally hated in Hollywood? Has he been blackballed or something? Because I don't understand how Community continues to be snubbed by everyone, and Glee continues to get accolades. ANY given episode of Community this year was better than all of season 2 of Glee. I also found it funnier than Episodes (the British version was WAY funnier).
And I don't understand the sudden disappearance of Neil Patrick Harris from the comedy categories. HIMYM wasn't all that great, but he gave some killer performances this year with the return of his father.
And how does Downton Abbey count as a miniseries when it's 15 episodes? That's MORE than Homeland!
(sigh) The world has gone mad...
Community Review: Britta-ing the Glee Club
12/14/2011 3:43 PM
Actually, @ChildishGambino, I found Annie's scene to be absolutely hilarious...and everytime I watch it I laugh more. "what's a dimininuwahhh?" Gets me every time LOL
SAG Award Nominees Include Modern Family, Boardwalk Empire and More
12/14/2011 2:05 PM
Seriously? Jon Cryer? What hold does he have on the Hollywood folk?
And having watched both The Big Bang Theory AND Community this year, there's no way TBBT deserved that above Community. Community was way funnier, AND made much better use of their ensemble cast. I just don't understand it.
Once Upon a Time Review: No One Is Safe
12/12/2011 8:55 AM
Oh my goodness, that was heartbreaking. (Pun not intended).
The Huntsman/Grahame was sooo compelling in this episode, and I was so excited that he was remembering stuff. Man, Regina is RUTHLESS. But maybe death by magic can be undone; that's a recurring theme in fairy tales, isn't it?
And Mary Margaret slept with the doctor; isn't he Doc, one of the dwarves? Eeek...((shudders))
I totally thought Gold had killed the wolf, who gardens in the woods?! I was surprised. And WHY was Mr. Gold encouraging Grahame?
Another note: Forget House and HIMYM. This was the best acting we got from Jennifer Morrison ever.
And I don't understand how people didn't know that Regina remembered everything - I thought that was obvious from the beginning. It even says so in the opening segment.(shrugs)
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
12/11/2011 11:31 PM
Grimm Review: No Huffing and Puffing Here
12/10/2011 7:25 PM
I completely agree with this review; this was the best episode yet. One of the overarching themes of this show seems to be individuality - no one person is representative of their entire family. Nick's not as ruthless as other Grimms, Eddie isn't like other Blutbaden, we had the dad in the three bears episode, the violinist in the last episode, etc. That's going to make Nick's job very hard, especially if he's has to kill the bad creatures - he can't make sweeping judgements.
There must be other Grimms - I'm looking forward to when he meets the others. And I'm still waiting for Juliette to become useful somehow...
Grimm Review: A Rat Rave
12/10/2011 6:23 PM
This episode was way better than the last one. The story was fun, and it was a little lighter, which I like. I agree with the "Bones" rip - I swear we've seen that before (and Bones has way more fun with those kinds of gross murder scenes), but it was still fun to watch. And I LOVE Eddie - he still owns the show as far as I'm concerned...
Sergeant Wu is kinda like a watered-down-network-version of Dexter's Masuka - but still fun.
They seriously need to give Juliette something to do - I'm holding on to hope that she's more important than they're letting on.
@RealDiehl - I wondered about that. I think that he only became a full "Grimm" when he started seeing the creatures for what they were - I think they see him as he sees them. They've been able to recognize him from day one though - Eddie knew from the get go.
Once Upon a Time Review: More Dangerous Than the Dragon
12/10/2011 4:54 PM
Thanks for the link, David, it was an interesting read. Some of those I noticed before, but I also think some of them are REALLY reaching LOL.
The Big Bang Theory Review: The Bully Versus the Mathletes
12/10/2011 4:21 PM
I hated this episode. Hated, hated, hated it. It wasn't funny. Not just because they mismanaged the whole bullying storyline, but because they continue to mismanage their characters. Sheldon used to be just socially inept - now he's just a mean A-hole. I agree with all the people who say that Sheldon is a verbal bully - of course he is!
I get that Penny probably didn't realize how mean she was being - a lot of bullies don't realize how hurtful their actions are, and this was a good way of showing it. But Penny stealing from poor people? That's never funny - whose idea was that?!
The fun in BBT used to be watching Penny (the one socially aware character) interact with the nerds with varying social aptitude. I don't know what's happening with this show.
Chuck Review: Hammered Hacking
12/10/2011 3:37 PM
I forgot to mention how AWESOME it was to see Chuck (a.k.a The Piranha) at a computer! We've built him up so much as a spy, it's so easy to forget that he was once a computer nerd, and a great one. I'm glad he got to use his old geek self to save the day - as he used to back in the first couple seasons.
Chuck Review: Hammered Hacking
12/10/2011 3:23 PM
DON'T TALK ABOUT THE PREVIEWS!!! Come on...major spoilers, people!! Not all of us watch them - in fact, we don't even get the previews in Canada!! Ugh...
Anyways, I totally loved this episode, and I think Zachary Levi's third time in the director's chair has shown a lot of his growth in that role. If he chooses to direct in the future, I'm sure he'll be great.
This was a great episode for Sarah. I love that Sarah isn't afraid to be a wife and a spy, she's really embracing the duality of her life now. Her "that's my man" line had me on the floor - that was great! She's right though - all she's ever known is being a spy. What would she do with her life without that?
Lester shot-calling in prison was utterly ridiculous and hilarious. I'm sure we ALL thought Casey would be the one to protect him!
My favourite part, Abed and Shirley, of course. I love Danny Pudi's voice, and as a Canadian, I was in heaven LOL
Community Review: Britta-ing the Glee Club
12/10/2011 3:06 PM
I honestly don't understand all the negative points this reviewer's making.
I agree with everyone else that the whole idea of the bit was for Annie to get more and more creepy and ridiculous as she went on (hence the diminishing returns). (Oh - and whether or not we saw Alison Brie's Santa Baby parody doesn't mean we missed the point, we just didn't get the inside joke).
Britta's conversion to the dark side was also part of the point. She was just as much the voice of reason as Jeff was. They ALL fell victim to the "Glee", she was just the last to succumb. The point wasn't whether or not they would convert, it was HOW they did. Annie converts Jeff, Jeff converts Britta...the love triangle never stops...
I loved this episode. I thought it was hilarious. I'm not a Glee fan at all, so watching them make fun of the show was icing on the cake (What the hell are regionals?!). I love Danny Pudi's voice, so getting to hear him sing was just bonus. And hearing Childish Gambino rap was even more bonus.
How I Met Your Mother Round Table: "Symphony of Illumination"
12/9/2011 5:18 PM
1. I'm with Chris - the pregnant jokes were hilarious.
2. Nah, I didn't buy it. Marshall grew up in a small town with a bunch of huge brothers - this can't be the first time he ended up on a house roof.
3. Ted owned it this time, I gotta say.
4. Hmmm. They'll break up soon, but I don't know if she'll ever tell him about Barney.
5. Swarkles for life! I'm not giving up!
Castle Round Table: "Cuffed"
12/9/2011 5:11 PM
1. I think my favourite moment was the "argument" between Castle and Beckett about her dominance. I like that Castle isn't afraid to call her out on stuff. He's in love but he's not whipped.
2. I'm with Christine on this one. Gates was awesome on this episode, but the scene where Ryan grabbed her was pretty intense.
3. Definitely creepy old lady. Jim - seriously, I remember thinking at the end of the show, "how are they millionaire animal smugglers and they look like rejected cast members from Deliverance?"
4. Freudian slip. Castle's way too particular about words to make a simple mistake.
5. The tiger twist was awesome - completely unexpected and so over the top. It brought the lightheartedness back to the show.
How I Met Your Mother Review: Bittersweet Symphony
12/7/2011 11:56 PM
I kinda felt sucker punched by the ending of this episode. The story was well told, and everyone had their A game on with the acting. But the frame wasn't necessary...they could have told the story just as well (probably even better) without Robin talking to her imaginary kids.
Castle Review: Handcuffed, Hot and Heavy!
12/7/2011 8:16 PM
I really enjoyed this episode - the story was just so entertaining. Seriously, who could have ever seen that tiger coming?!
I didn't really see all the sexual tension that everyone else seemed to see. The most I saw was at the end, "next time", with the helmet. Castle's a lot tamer than he used to be; he doesn't have that swagger anymore. I guess it's being in love and being so much more familiar with each other. This is the same Rick Castle that told Beckett in the pilot that he'd be happy to let her spank him. Now they're handcuffed together, and the best he did was "kinky" LOL.
As for the Captain...I've been saying she would be awesome from day one. I like being right haha :-)
Once Upon a Time Review: More Dangerous Than the Dragon
12/5/2011 3:20 PM
I really liked this episode - I think it's my favourite so far. My goodness, Josh Dallas is soooo blasted handsome, I'd watch him all day...
Like everyone else, I didn't see the prince switch coming at all - that freaked me out! Anyone else notice that he was a shepherd in the fairy tale world and his name is David in Storybrooke? Fairy tales AND Biblical allusion - Abigail was also the name of one of David's wives in the Bible. Gotta love these writers. I also like how they're tying all the stories together.
Ginnifer Goodwin is awesome - my heart really goes out to Mary Margaret, but we knew that their happy ending wouldn't come so easily. I do kind of wish that there was another "evildoer" besides Rumpelstiltskin - he's like the Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files, behind every single misfortune in the land!
The preview for next week looks exciting...
Chuck Round Table: The Business Trip
12/3/2011 12:17 PM
1. Favourite scene was Beckman coming back to castle - and the missile command quote.
2. I'd have to say Indiana Jones. The Star Wars "prequel trilogy" wasn't as great as the original, but not as bad as the fourth Indy flick. Refrigerators and aliens?? Really?!?
3. Oh please, no jail can hold John Casey. Lester, on the other hand...I can't wait to see him in jail. The comedic potential is boundless.
4. Captain Awesome, hands down.
5. Oh my gosh, I don't know! I don't even know if I want Chuck to have it back, he's doing just fine without it. I think it would be funny if Casey got it, he'd hate it hahaha
Cuffed on Castle: Promo & Sneak Peek
12/3/2011 12:09 PM
I can't tell if her eyes are open or closed when she's smiling...
And Nathan kinda looks like the old Captain Tightpants when he's asleep there.
Castle Round Table: "Kill Shot"
12/3/2011 12:04 PM
1. Agreed with most people - the scene with Esposito and Beckett confronting the gun that shot her was absolutely powerful.
2. Well, I always liked Gates and I've been saying forever that people just need to give her time. So this episode was just validation for me.
3. Esposito and Beckett have had the most charged pairing so far, but I really liked Beckett and Ryan from the 3XK episode this season.
4.(swoon) Oh yeah...
5. I'm okay with how they're progressing, it seems natural to me. But part of me just wishes they'd get on with it so we can get back to the banter that they used to have. I miss the light-hearted jabs they used to take at each other, and the jokes they used to make.
Community Review: Big Cheddar vs. Tinkletown
12/3/2011 11:44 AM
I loved this episode!! I think the Jeff/Shirley storyline was the best, and I absolutely love when they give Yvette Nicole Brown some depth to work with. When Jeff told Shirley, "I like you best when you're bad" (paraphrasing), I think he was speaking for the entire Community audience. That was great.
The Troy/Abed/Annie storyline was fun! I love how tongue-in-cheek Community is - to acknowledge that the friend-destroying-priceless-item thing is overdone, and then do it anyway! Troy freaking out is ALWAYS hilarious.
The vanity card at the end was a nice touch, kudos to Dan Harmon, I laughed my butt off. The whole point of having it was a jab at the competition. It's no coincidence that the vanity card was from a character named Leonard....let's see, what other show has vanity cards at the end and also has a character named Leonard, that airs on Thursday nights at 8pm?
535 Total Comments
What's New Tonight
Recent Round Tables
"Damned If You Do"
"Truth (Part II)"
The Vampire Diaries
Pretty Little Liars
Sons of Anarchy
Game of Thrones
More Shows »
© Copyright 2013