BTVS and TVD thread

@fayeolivia

Also you forgot:

Anya+Cordelia = Caroline :)

Posted at

What do you think the other originals will be like?

And actually its 7 more.

Klaus, Elijah, 5 more brothers and then mother and father(confirmed accidentally by J.Plec that the coffins include the two parents-originals)

Posted at

What do you think the other originals will be like?

It would be nice if they WERE NOT the good guys too.

It would be kind of nice to have a three or more way situation. Originals might be against Klaus but still have some very dark and dangerous ideas and plans  and cruelty and etc. now IF the slip about Stefan possibly betraying Klaus IS true and Stefan STILL remains badguy at that point, it would even be possible to have four way confrontation - "main characters"/"Klaus"/"Originals"/"Stefan" with them equally hostile to each other.

It would certainly introduce an unique dynamic to the show as right now we had only two-way situations with good guys and badguys on different sides and some badguy would end up the goodguy in the end...

Posted at

BTVS and TVD thread

I disagree.

Stefan is annoyingly VERY VERY GOOD to the point that even when he is bad, he is completely good and guilty and noble. Its taken to a level that I fear TVD will never dirty up stefan even a  little bit and the whole bloodaholic thing will end in few episodes with no consequences...

Spike on other hand I disagree...Damon is built after Spike, but he is nowhere near close to Spike in character development, and TVD TRIED to imitate Spike's progress through seasons, but just can't do it correctly.  While Spike's journey was interesting,shocking and engaging, Damon's story comes off as more like a try to stretch the story out - Damon does good thing and then two bad things to SHOCK(!!) the viewers and then good thing and again to the point that he is the embodiment of face-heel revolving door tv trope. Spike was a whole lot more gray-zone character compared to Damon's almost cartoon-ish behavior in season2. Spike also never quite lost his dark vibes, darker, monstrous side of personality and that was the part Buffy likes about him too.

As for Katherine, I would say that there are at least four Katherines in BTVS - Buffy(less psychotic, more tv-show katherine mixed with tvd-book-elena and tvd-book meredith in latter seasons), Faith(Buffy's counterpart, more psychotic tv show katherine and a mirror, as Buffy grows darker and more broken, Faith is on her way to redemption), Drusilla(Book-Katherine) and  Darla(flashback-Katherine from tvd tv show)

Posted at

BTVS and TVD thread

@ABBEY

Oh you already most likely know and recognise the idea :)

After getting kicked out of school in LA, a young girl, Buffy Summers and her mother relocate to a little town in california called "Sunnydale". Here she forms a friendly relationship with two school outcasts, Alexander Harris, a complete lazy normal guy who casually fails at test scores and Willow Rosenberg, a "casual" nerd girl who is obsessed with learning and lacks any sort of confidence.  

Buffy tries to fit in and so on, but the past problems keep getting in the way. Past problems like her burning the school gym in LA, wanting to be completely normal or the fact that Buffy is a "slayer" - one person per generation with inborn instincts, reflexes and strength to kill supernatural creatures.

She obviously wants nothing to do with that job and just wants to get her normal life back, but she might have picked a wrong town for that as Sunnydale, also known as Hellmouth, is the center of anything and everything supernatural in the world. And after mysterious and handsome young man, who calls himself Angel, warns her about just to where she relocated, things start to get bloody in town.

Werewolves, vampires, witches,  demons, zombies, ghosts, invisible people - they all are real and they all are both drawn to her and to the Hellmouth. And town itself, including people living here, have their own dark secrets, both old and new. And living here, she might find out a lot more about her "destiny" and the whole slayer thing than she would ever want to know.

In a sense, the basic premise is quite similar to tvd - a young girl, shrouded in supernatural occurences, finds herself attracted to a "good vampire", Angel(upon which Stefan in tvd tv show is based) and tries to both find out the origins of her powers as well as get her normal life back. Obviously as the time goes, Damon-like-character is introduced and overall show, that starts as sort of homage to horror movies, turns darker and darker with each season.

It trumphs TVD in character development. Buffy Summers(unlike Elena Gilbert) is the most developed character in the history of tv. The CLOSEST thing TVD hass to Buffy is Katherine(if she was not as psychotic) or book-Elena. She is capable of wide range of emotions - care, loyalty, disgust, dishonesty, friendlyness, compassion, hatred, guilt, pride and so on. She is capable of making mistakes and being selfish, just as well as doing the right thing and she is way more "real" in personality than Elena is.

BTVS itself was heavily influenced by TVD books at the time though  and TVD show constantly tries to "emulate" the similar atmosphere and setting, but it just can't balance the character development and storytelling as well as btvs did. Certain plotpoints in tvd(like klaus sacriffice stuff), certain characters, certain scenes(klaus biting elena, bonnie crying over jeremy, etc) are one-on-one copies of scenes from BTVS.

The show is also known for its foreshadowing and planned-outness - season1 has hints to plotpoints that happen as far as last season of the show, season4 finale pretty much tells the symbolic version of ENTIRE storyline from season1 to season7 and pretty much everything- what characters are wearing, what music is playing, what is said and shown in dreams - everything has a meaning or signifficance.

Also BTVS(especially the latter seasons) is known for its cruel plot twists, surprising mood swings from cheery to depressing, shocking and sudden deaths of important characters and very dark atmosphere. It literally manages to make you fear for the lives of everyone, including the main character, through every episode and it does not fear to dirty-up its characters just a little bit - Buffy is not exactly your generic-nice-girl-that-is-Elena, Angel's dark side is way more interesting and twisted than Stefan's little bloodaholic thing and every character sometimes makes mistakes, hides things and etc.

Posted at

BTVS and TVD thread

TVD frankly just loves copying certain scenes or characters from BtVS(Heck tv-show-Damon is less-badass version of Spike), however, as good as this show is, it does not even come close to Buffy.

Began to like btvs as soon as season 1 finale aired, however did not really become obsessed with it till the whole angelus thing, however my most favorite seasons still are 5th, 6th and 7th. 5th because everything flew together so nicely and because it was REALLY cruel to the viewers, 6th because of all Buffy character development we got, 7th because, well, badass-hardcore-nobullsh-better-than-you-buffy+atmosphere of season5.

I stilloccassionally rewatch the fifth season. I like how Dracula's speech about darkness in her, spike's lesson about death and about Buffy's bonds, pretty much is ongoing theme through the season, how it slowly builds up all that hopelessness and all the horrible things that happen. It was different from previous seasons, each episode was more connected, built a multiple threads of plot at once and still managed to develop characters, while having mind-numbingly cruel and unexpected plot twists almost every episode(the "why don't you take your sister with you?" at the end of second episode for example still makes me go "WHAT?!!?!" every time I see it).

those were the times...

Posted at

Does anyone know anything about TVD bringing Meredith into the show?

@Halde

I can't say the number of episode as it would spoil the surprise :) you will know once you see it, that episode is...hard to miss. I am pretty sure when that episode ends, anyone who watched it will remember it for years :)

Initiative was a nice idea, but a bit too bad of execution. Still it had very nice lasting results through the seasons and if show would have gotten 10 season deal instead of 7, Initiative stuff would have been used as foreshadowing for US government as possible entirely non-supernatural antagonist.

Being vampire removes your soul. That means you do NOT feel guilt or have any conscious regard for the things you do. It does not add some evil thing, "you" just completely lack that "human conscience" part that usually restricts us from acting on our instincts and desires(for example alternate-universe-vampire-willow was lesbian even before Willow discovered her orientation).  You know how you sometimes want to do something entirelly stupid and bad yet your own mind restricts you because its wrong and bad and unreasonable. Being Vampire in BTVS means you just no longer have that part.

Angel(us) still cared about buffy, in his own way. However it was completely selfish and twisted need, his form of "love", which is basically a complete obsession over someone. In similar way on how some artists would destroy their masterpieces after finishing them.

It all depends on the exact "unrestricted" nature of the person.  It depends on how much of a beast you and your own humanity holds back. It just sort of means that SPike has less inner demons than Angel did.

For example, Harmony - even without guilt or conscience, her shallow and vain inner self just is NOT capable of being as twisted and evil. Sure she killed people and she has no regard for others, but otherwise she was just NOT capable of all the huge destruction, let's say Angel could do.

As for Spike - don't expect him to go completely wussy stefan-like just because he has some humanity and starts caring/loving someone. I actually liked all that development that is going to happen about him. IMO it was handled in way better ways than Damon is currently handled in TVD.

Posted at

Especially that certain episode which had absolutely no musical score...I have yet to find a show that can make everything so atmospheric sad and powerful and yet stay completely silent just with dialogue and whats important it had pretty much no supernatural elements and still remains one of my favorite episodes...

Posted at

@halde

Yeh, I loved the whole atmosphere that was created there and how BtVS would use pretty much generic things like studies, etc to draw attention to character development, personality, problems or emotional atmosphere. Be it a birthday(oh man how unlucky Buffy was with birthdays), holiday or just plain simple classes.

That was one of the things I liked about the whole season4, but IMO, the emotional build up was best in season5(and upwards) , how the whole season was no longer that separate and everything tied together very nicely, how certain very realistic and real life things managed to create dreadful and sad atmosphere without any need of supernatural to be there.  Not to mention that season 5 was...cruel in terms of mood shifts and what happens to characters...Some episodes in S5 I still cry when I see them again.

Posted at

Anyone else just can't wait for Ringer?

@JustOneKiss

Its not movie. Its a new tv show on CW :)

Posted at