Best TV Shows Of All Time
AWESOME THREAD. I don't remember a lot of Friends since i was really young when it was airing, but these are the shows that i've watched that i think were the best. To me, if a tv series is gonna be grouped among the best there must be CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, a well thought out overall JOURNEY, AWESOME surprises and witty LANGUAGE. Also, the shows compared must be the OVERALL show and not just some seasons in the show. Every show has its bad season or 2 but the ones that will stand the test of time must have overall excellence.
1. Smallville - 10 seasons of awesomeness. This show had me in all kinds of trouble at home with my dad. I was skipping homework......and food, just so i could sit down and watch........wait for it...........RERUNS of this show, I have all the seasons on DVD but i made a decision when i was younger that i can't keep this unhealthy obssesion going on, so i've stopped watching it after season 5 ended and i haven't watched another episode since. I'm still working up the courage to watch the rest but i'm afraid it will take over my life again.....sad but true. (Tom Welling has the sexiest teeth in the world)
2. BTVS - At the time that it came out, there was nothing like it for miles and NOONE can deny the absolute effect it had on almost any supernatural series after it came. It was a mind blowing story of development and surprise and it took you places with the main characters that you never thought you'd go, physically and emotionally.
3. House M.D. - OMG. I've noticed that House is like the perfect 21st century Sherlock Holmes of the medical world (even down to the addiction)....only with a team of Watsons and a healthy dose of lust and love to keep things interesting. His main "Watson" is even called "Watson", that can't be a coincidence. His personality alone makes the show. I would watch House if he were locked in a straight jacket and bolted to the floor. He makes every episode interesting and fun with his antics (kinda like Damon) and i like how the other characters constantly challenge him to be a better man.........and fail miserably.
4. The X-Files - This is the show that started my obsession with all things supernatural. It used to come on for 3 nights a week on Jamaican television. Picture this, it's summer and my dad has gone to bed and left me (around 7 or 8 at the time) with the remote. A rain storm is outside, lightening is flashing, thunder is booming, i turn off all the lights in the house and......switch to the X-Files. Barring getting shot of something crazy like that, there was no other greater adrenaline rush for a kid my age than that senario.
5. Charmed - This show stated my obsession with magic (as you can probable tell by now, i have quite a few obssesions). It was almost hypnotic to me. watching these sisters finding out about who they are, the destinies they have to fulfill and then trying to mix it all in with ordinary lives was a privilege for me. Again, i love the development of this show, you crying and laughed with them, and yes, you loved with them (i still think Cole and Pheobe were true soulmates).
I also love/loved the O.C. (dragged along when Marrissa died, but Seth and Summer were the stars for me), Gossip Girl (season 3 started a drastic decline in the quality of the plot though), Supernatural (kinda dipped as well at the end of season 5) and ofcourse TVD, only 2 seasons so far and it's already rocking SO HARD, i hope it can improve in charcter development though but plot wise and language content already has this show in a future list of mine.
ok so i started going on this forum and i saw how everyone says buffy the vampire slayer was like the be all and end all of tv so i started watching on netflix, and i dont want to like hurt anyone or say anything to offend people but i realllyyyy dont see what is SO SO great about it, i mean i see the connections between it and tvd and tvd is so great but i dont really fully understand why its at the top of everyones lists
If you have only seen some in the first season it is somewhat understandable. Not everyone like the same things, but to my point. BtVS was originally meant as a miniseries taking storys from old supernatural horror(mostly) movies.
Because of the great succes the show had, they made 6 additional season. I the entire season 1 as a intro. More or less.
Also later in BtVS, compared to some other shows(such as TVD) you have to think a lot more. It is a very deep show. TVD is much more, and is shallow overall. BtVS isn't just brainless entertainment(no offense).
Uh yea, The Simpson.
Although it wasen't great after season 10 since all the good writers on it was putted on the Futurama project.
agreed with Halde. BTVS is very deep show. First season is bassically intro into lore, with somewhat unique main character, lots of homages to old horror movies and only few important things happening that strongly affect the main character and second season is sort of the real start that builds up slowly everyone and sort of starts the show. there are tons upon tons of character development and some characters, including the main character bercome very polarizing between the viewers. The show did not fear to take drastic measures, killcharacters, hurt characters or throw everything into entirelly different direction with as much as one sentence or scene. Every season, every episode, even episodic-ones, are connected thematically and plot-wise.
Whats more fascinating is character changes - Everything that happens affects those involved. Some events only bring small changes, while the results of some other things might not be entirelly apparent that very moment. Its not a "story" , its a living, breathing world and everything that happens matters for a long long time.plotlines don't just get dropped, problems don't get solved in one heartfelt talk, character flaws and problems don't just disappear.
And since its living breathing world, its a real world. Its all about people, their plotlines, relations, characters, clashing through the events that surround the town. Death is real and permanent, your actions always have consequences and you HAVE to live with them forever and real life problems won't wait outside till you sort out your supernatural ones . And everyone reacts to the things that happen in appropriate and realistic way..
Which brings to characters, the real strength of the show. Every character gets a huge amount of development. The show does not fear to dirty them up. they make mistakes, bad decisions, can hate as much as love and so on. The most complex character is the main one. Upon her alone one could writer a psych master thesis and the show manages to really both develop her as person and deconstruct the whole heroic image she has going on. She is certainly far away from characters like Elena and more closer to characters like Katherine. Buffy Summers has a lot of faces and sides and masks and personality features. She is truly...one of the kind. Obviously, The show enjoys torturing their characters and bringing angst into their life.
The show gradually changes and deepens along the way, to reflect the changes in characters and theevents.
First season is bassically that sweet sweet innocent childhood, where most of things are just a game for you , you still like to paint everything in black and white, good and evil and everything always works out for you.
Its quite fascinating and impactful to see just what the characters will loose eventually and just how much those lives will change through these 7-8 years they spent above the mouth of hell. Its literally, the very beginning of their lives and of the tragedies and other things that awaif them in their lives.
Damn Jay...I forgot Scrubs duh!!I forgot them..So Scrubs is my number 3 and I am putting BTVS on 4..I love Dr Cox!!:>