Thursdays 8:00 PM on CW
Prime_large
The-vampire-diaries
2296 posts
Charishma

Seriously? Its just good fun. Life imitates art and all that. So yes, there are parallels between even the most fictional of fictions and reality. TVD is a paranormal show set in a fictional town, but its set on earth with a very human background. Every work of fiction (that is sci-fi or paranormal driven) is a commentary on the world is, should be, or could be given X Y or Z. TVD is the third option. 

Humans and monsters both exist. MF used to be very human (despite the presence of two vampire brothers), but now the only human thing you see is Matt. The lines have blurred. That's the beauty of the show right now. They're all realizing what they are and whether they're prepared to accept it, run away from it, or do everything they can to change it. Enter, the cure. 

We're going to see who survives with their souls intact, who doesn't, and if some that were thought to be soulless really can change for the "better".

Posted at

MF used to be very human (despite the presence of two vampire brothers)In terms of character descriptions? Yes.

In terms of actual portrayal. NOPE.

The lines have blurred. That's the beauty of the show right now. They're all realizing what they are and whether they're prepared to accept it, run away from it, or do everything they can to change it.And yet the show NEVER ACTUALLY TACKLES the morality and the fucked upness of what those characters did. its excused. whitewashed, showcasing writer's own misogyny, racism, sexism. 

Posted at
1565 posts
Amie

The lines have blurred. That's the beauty of the show right now. They're all realizing what they are and whether they're prepared to accept it, run away from it, or do everything they can to change it.

I don't know....I don't see the beauty in anything on this show anymore because ever since s1 when Elena first dumpred Stefan after finding out him being a vampire - which was the last very human and logical decision she ever made - the show has failed to portray the boundary between human life and supernaturals....thats one thing I have always admired about the books as it always had this sort of pinch back to reality when book Bonnie, Meredith, Matt and other human beings even when helping Elena andStefan and even Damon, always had that thought at the back of their minds that "Um hello, these are supernaturals! THIS is not alright! People dying is not alright. All of this is not alright'. I am not even going to go into the details of how nobody on this show even bothers about the other people in MF finding out about what vampires, witches and werewolves are doing in their town. Or the fact that none of these kids bother to show up at scholl anymore....its like they are on constant vacation. Deaths don't mean anything anymore to these people, even when they talk about them - last episode when Elena talked about the possibility of seeing the lost loved ones to Jeremy it felt like she was saying Jeremy, we are going to see a 5D movie, would that be great? She wasn't like - hey, maybe we can see mom and dad again, or Jenna! No, it was like eh, whatever. We don't see proper human grief, even Tyler walked into the house to be all douchy around Klaus and it did not look like his mother's death affected him at all to be honest. 

Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

@ Amie: Whats different between the seasons 3&4 and seasons 1&2 is that there is an all and out war going on in the former. Between the Originals and MF. Constantly trying to stay two steps ahead of the other. Casualties on both sides. Divided loyalties and constant fear of dying. Siblings turning against each other. Tyler really should've taken that truce. I lost a lot of hope for that character when that happened.

You see Elena getting back together with Stephan as a decision lacking in humanity. Someone else would see her capability of forgiving as a very human emotion.

As far as grief goes, then you're right. That has more to do with the pacing of the show than their level of apathy though I think.

And the high school thing. Yeah, thats a by-product of being a CW show. These guys should've been atleast 19 when the show started. But who care's about standing by the lockers and talking? This isn't 90210 (old school version). I'm actually pretty cool with the fact that school is optional for them.

NEVER ACTUALLY TACKLES the morality and the fucked upness of what those characters did. its excused. whitewashed, showcasing writer's own misogyny, racism, sexism. 

Misogyny? Violence towards Caroline, yes. (I have a theory on that coming to a head later this season, but i wont go into that) Other than that the violence is pretty gender neutral. The problem is violence period.     Racism? In terms of casting and character development, yes. Where I used to blame JP for that, I've now realized that its a problem for movies and television in general. The reaction to Charles being cast as Marcel for the spin-off is just a tiny example. Some people find it easier to relate to white people. Mainly because they're seen as individuals instead of representatives of a larger community. Whenever an Asian, Black or whatever race of person is casted there's always so much thought given to the way they should behave. If it would be "beleiveable" for an asian to not have an accent, or a black person to speak "like a white person". Stupid things like that stop people from casting and giving importance to people from other races. This problem goes beyond TVD. its about people realizing that stereotypes are there for a reason. To stop us from getting to know each other as individuals. I don't give a fuck how a "coloured" person talks or dresses as long as he/she is a fully actualized and developed character.     Sexism? Welcome to the world.    
Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

NEVER ACTUALLY TACKLES the morality and the fucked upness of what those characters did. its excused. whitewashed, showcasing writer's own misogyny, racism, sexism. 

Misogyny? Violence towards Caroline, yes. (I have a theory on that coming to a head later this season, but i wont go into that) Other than that the violence is pretty gender neutral. The problem is violence period.    

Racism? In terms of casting and character development, yes. Where I used to blame JP for that, I've now realized that its a problem for movies and television in general. The reaction to Charles being cast as Marcel for the spin-off is just a tiny example. Some people find it easier to relate to white people. Mainly because they're seen as individuals instead of representatives of a larger community. Whenever an Asian, Black or whatever race of person is casted there's always so much thought given to the way they should behave. If it would be "beleiveable" for an asian to not have an accent, or a black person to speak "like a white person". Stupid things like that stop people from casting and giving importance to people from other races. This problem goes beyond TVD. its about people realizing that stereotypes are there for a reason. To stop us from getting to know each other as individuals. I don't give a fuck how a "coloured" person talks or dresses as long as he/she is a fully actualized and developed character.    

Sexism? Welcome to the world.  

sorry about re-post. The first one looked like a shitstorm lol
Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

stereotypes are there for only one reason* (sorry, typo)

Posted at

@ Amie: Whats different between the seasons 3&4 and seasons 1&2 is that there is an all and out war going on in the former.

Sorry?? We must have watched two different versionf of season three then, because if there was some sort of conflict, it was in first two seasons - between vampires and teh council. S3 was all about bunch of thousand year old people singing serenades and engaging in soap opera shenanigans, with fail-group of main characters trying to kill them again and again. 

Between the Originals and MF. Constantly trying to stay two steps ahead of the other.

which was portrayed by asspulls and plot-resets every episode, to the point that every time we hear "let's kill klaus" we get a strong headache and change channels.

Casualties on both sides.

yet again no one that matters.  And yet again no one gives a shit on who died or did not die. The characters are forgotten as if they never existed the very next episode. 

constant fear of dying.

lol

Sorry. death has been a joke since, what, mid S2? And then it became complete joke with Germy's revival Elena's asspull, etc. And then death got comically worthless with GHOSTS and a fucking afterlife.

Siblings turning against each other.

Artificial sibling wangst has been happening since the start of S2. nothing new and frankly boring already.

Tyler really should've taken that truce. I lost a lot of hope for that character when that happened.

I find this funny considering Tyler is the ONLY character left who has at least somewhat realistic reactions to the shit around him. 

That has more to do with the pacing of the show than their level of apathy though I think.

S3 had horribly slow pacing with lots and lots of filler plotlines. Did absolutely jack-shit in terms of their reactions to the shit around them. 

And the high school thing. Yeah, thats a by-product of being a CW show. These guys should've been atleast 19 when the show started. But who care's about standing by the lockers and talking? This isn't 90210 (old school version). I'm actually pretty cool with the fact that school is optional for them.

Oh , well, I as well as a lot of people here are not okay with that, 

Because:

It takes away from immersion and ups the need for suspension of disbelief to ridiculous levels. It takes away from believability of characters It takes away possible character development, because it takes away the HUMAN interactions possible in the school setting. It makes any sort of college or job plot in future completely and utterly laughable.

Misogyny? Violence towards Caroline, yes. (I have a theory on that coming to a head later this season, but i wont go into that) Other than that the violence is pretty gender neutral. The problem is violence period.

Yes. I guess rape-apologism is TOTALLY normal and shaming Caroline for being raped and abused by Damon is also totally normal.

Racism? In terms of casting and character development, yes. Where I used to blame JP for that, I've now realized that its a problem for movies and television in general.\

Sorry, nope. A lot of mainstream tv has strong poc characters.  The problem is entirely isolated with CW and TVD takes the cake in the treatment of non-white people. The problem is SPECIFICALLY with plec, considering her racist remarks over twitter.

The reaction to Charles being cast as Marcel for the spin-off is just a tiny example.

The reaction is a respnse to already obvious treatment of such characters. poc characters have horribly low life expectancy and horribly shitty storylines on tvd. 

Sexism? Welcome to the world.  

sorry, but just because there's sexism in reality, does not mean that the show has to be sexist. Every female is worthless and only gets romance stories, every male is "the protector", rape is excusable, abuse is romantic. The lead female loosing her consent and spending 4 seasons being a puppet-love-interest for two lead males is perfect example of disgusting inequality - something that by all accounts SHOULD be hated and pointed-out by the viewership. What's more, TVD specifically(alongside Supernatural) stands out from all the mainstream shows because of all the misogyny and sexism. 

Real life has racism too, does not mean that racist plotlines should be allowed or tolerated.

Posted at

who keeps penetrating his own sister

LOL this made me laugh so hard.

Why did I think of GOT when he said this, fuck you kitty I am eating. Although I ship Klebekah
Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

GOT. Omg seriously. That shit is insane. BEST. SERIES. EVER. but still, insane.

Posted at
1565 posts
Amie

@ Amie: Whats different between the seasons 3&4 and seasons 1&2 is that there is an all and out war going on in the former. Between the Originals and MF. Constantly trying to stay two steps ahead of the other. Casualties on both sides. Divided loyalties and constant fear of dying. Siblings turning against each other. Tyler really should've taken that truce. I lost a lot of hope for that character when that happened.

Yes, and that trojan war has been because of Elena - for three 3 seasons now EVERYTHING has been about her, and I am not ok with that. Plus with regards to staying ahead of each other and casualties, I am sure you have witnesseed the same as I have and ou would not call it super scheeming and actually good plans that these idiots have come up with for teh past 3 seasons, and as for casualties, aside from the last remaining human beings in MF, none of those casualties mean anything for the main characters as they all seem to live on this idea that there is a back door and someone can always be brought back....that is one crucial element the book did not have and made the book characters treat each other's lives with a little more respect.

You see Elena getting back together with Stephan as a decision lacking in humanity. Someone else would see her capability of forgiving as a very human emotion.

No, I said her breaking up with him was the last normal human reaction thing decision she ever made....her getting back together with him never bothered me because we al knew why she did...I just liked that back then in s1 and even in s2 when they broke up again, Elena thought like a human being would not like someone who is ok with everything that has been going around in her life after dating a vampire in less than one year.

But I don't need locker scenes...high school is one of those things that is a big part of any teen's life and on a show about how a human's life is supposed to be affected by all this supernatural stuffm does not it seem strange that now that they are all in a race for that cure...why exactly are they so eager to get it, especially Elena? To get back her human life? To get back to what? What was the last human activity was she ever involved in? So she becomes human again and then what, she has never thought about her future and she is supposed to be in her last last year of high school, which you know is the place where they prepare you for college and university. I just think that showing elena interacting with other teens at high school would have made her seem more like she actually wants to be human again, not because she just can not handle being a vampire. 

Posted at

Post a Reply

You are posting as a guest. To post as a user, please Sign In or Register.

Guest posting is disabled in this forum. If you want to post, please Sign In or Register.

Vampire Diaries Quotes

You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger... I want you to get everything you're looking for. But for right now, I want you to forget that this happened. Can't have people knowing I'm in town yet. Goodnight, Elena.

Damon

Damon: You know what they are? Children. Like lighting a candle's going to make everything OK, or even saying a prayer. Or pretending Elena's not going to end up just like the rest of us murdering vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating little children. And I know what you're going to say: 'It makes them feel better, Damon.' So what? For how long? A minute, a day? What difference does it make? Because in the end, when you lose somebody, every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing you have left is hole in your life where that somebody that you cared about used to be. And a rock with a birthday carved into it that I'm pretty sure is wrong. So thanks, friend. Thanks for leaving me here to babysit. Because I should be long gone by now. I didn't get the girl, remember? I'm just stuck here fighting my brother and taking care of the kids. You owe me big.
Alaric: I miss you too, buddy.

x Close Ad