The eighth season of American Idol moved into its fan voting stage last night, as 12 of the show's 36 semifinalists performed.
Here's a summary of who chose which song, along with a brief description of their performances:
- Jackie Tohn: "A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis Presley -- Full of energy, but not great vocals.
- Ricky Braddy: "A Song For You" by Leon Russell â€¨â€¨-- Surprise of the night. Carried the tune, impressed the judges,
- Alexis Grace: "I Never Loved a Man" by Aretha Franklin â€¨â€¨-- Compared to Kelly Clarkson by Simon Cowell. High praise.
- Brent Keith: "Hicktown" by Jason Aldean -- Fun rendition, judges thought it was too safe of a selection.
- Casey Carlson: "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by the Police -- Atrocious, full of random shimmies, shakes and poor vocals.
- Anoop Desai: "Angel of Mine" by Monica â€¨â€¨-- A bit mature for Desai's persona, but judges clearly want him to move on.
- Ann Marie Boskovich: "Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin â€¨â€¨-- Slow, didn't showcase Boskovich's fun side. Might still move on.
- Michael Sarver: "I Don't Want to Be" by Gavin DeGraw -- Judges liked it, but labeled song selection as safe and played out.
- Tatiana Del Toro: "Saving All My Love For You" by Whitney Houston -- Singing talent not nearly as bad as her personality.
- Stephen Fowler: "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson -- Boring, placed himself in difficult position by choosing a Jackson song.
- Stevie Wright: "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swiftâ€¨â€¨ -- The worst of the night. We felt terrible for her.
- Danny Gokey: "Hero" by Mariah Carey -- Standing ovation from the crowed, highest praise of the night from the judges.