"Return" may have been the best episode of The Secret Circle. Now that Cassie has a parental unit of some sort back in her life, she seems less annoying. It didn't take much for the change, so maybe she was being portrayed as a wayward teen without someone to love her. Whatever it was, I found her much more appealing tonight.
Before Daddy arrived, she thought she was moving back home and even got her first job at the local coffee shop. Adam taught her how to serve drinks but not how to serve them from the bottom of the glass. Dude! You grew up in a restaurant. Watching Cassie's fingertips on the lip of a glass may be a turn on, but not to other customers. Thankfully, that wasn't the only indication of how close Adam and Cassie are becoming.
When John showed up, he made it pretty clear that telling anyone was an absolute no-no. Cassie said straight up she would tell Adam whatever they talked about, but he didn't believe her and warned her to stay quiet anyway. It took Cassie about 15 seconds to defy this order. Another impressive moment from Cass. She's no longer thinking only of herself.
Everything wasn't perfect, of course. Even though John acted as though he was trying to protect Cassie, there is still something about the medallion that doesn't ring true. Any time the medallion was mentioned, a strange look brushed over his face. Because of it, the witch hunters were after her.
The circle came together to save both Cassie and John in the end, but the person John chose to confide in about his daughter, to ask to work together to protect Cassie, was Jake. Does that seem off to you? He did indicate that he and Eben had a long history, so maybe there is information he wants from Jake about either other hunters or Jake himself. Am I putting too much thought into it?
It was a pretty cool spell that Eben used on Cassie, but how would it work? She's basically proven herself to be close to indestructible, but she could be spelled by someone that easily? That was the weakest link in the hour, but it did provide a nice cozy fire in the middle of the snow covered forest, so it wasn't all bad.
Odds and Ends
- Melissa was getting sucked up in to bad Juju world again with Lee's friend Callum. I'll be honest, I'm completely lost in the voodoo world. I don't know if Lee or Callum or both or neither is/are bad Juju themselves. Who is the chick in Lee's house with the IV? I thought it might be Heather Barnes, but this girl was younger, and it seemed that Lee was stealing power from her to give to Faye... or the other way around? I need answers!
- Joe Lando has held up very well. Cassie's dad is HOT. And no, not just when he was surrounded by flames.
- The more I see them together, the more striking I find the father/son resemblance of Adam and Ethan. They did a hell of a casting job on that one.
- For the first time, I felt as if the circle was acting as a unit. I don't know if the addition of one new character could really bring the circle closer, but it seems to have happened. It was also interesting that John didn't know Cassie's mother's generation had gotten their powers back. That should provide some for fun adult material, given the animosity between Ethan and John.
- Maybe it was just remnants of Brian from The Nine Lives of Chloe King, but when Lee turned on the charm at the end and he and Faye started kissing? They brought more heat to The Secret Circle.
Carissa Pavlica is the managing editor and a staff writer for TV Fanatic. Follow her on Twitter.