Deadwood is headed back to HBO.
HBO President Casey Bloys confirmed Wednesday at the Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour that a movie sequel to the series will enter production this fall.
“We are greenlit on the Deadwood movie,” he said.
“We’re looking at an October start date. It has been a logistics nightmare getting all the cast members’ schedule lined up, but we are there, and it is greenlit.”
Deadwood originally aired on the premium cable network from 2004-06, lasting three seasons before the ax was swung.
Bloys went on to state that no definite premiere date has been penciled in, but it could hit the air as early as Spring 2019.
What's more, Daniel Minahan who directed four episodes of the original series will return to direct the movie.
While he never went into specifics about who will return for the feature, he did say there was a "nightmare of logistics" as far as getting the actors back together.
Last year, Kim Dickens and Dayton Callie appeared at San Diego Comic-Con to promote Fear the Walking Dead and confirmed to TV Line that they knew of the project.
“They’ve called for our availability,” Dickens revealed, while Callie said: "Mine, too!"
It's been a long road to the air for the revival, but we there's a good chance that Dickens will be part of the cast.
Her four-year tenure on Fear the Walking Dead came to a halt earlier this year when it was revealed that her character died while trying to save her family.
In this revival-crazy world, we can't think of any show better to come back than Deadwood. While a two-hour movie is somewhat finite, there's no telling what it could lead to if the movie is a success.
The original series received near universal acclaim from critics. Will the movie be able to give fans the closure they deserve after all these years?
Time will tell.
What are your thoughts on this news, Deadwood Fanatics?
Will you be watching the movie?
Who do you want to return?
Hit the comments below.
Paul Dailly is the Associate Editor for TV Fanatic. Follow him on Twitter.