- Canadian surgeon Major Rebecca Gordon arrives at a military hospital in Kandahar, Afghanistan in 2006 where she meets new trauma team leader Captain Bobby Trang.
- When Trang appears to freeze during his first trauma, Rebecca steps in. Colonel Marks chastises her for undermining Trang's confidence by not waiting for him to ask for assistance.
- Rebecca meets civilian neurosurgeon Dr. Simon Hill who hits on her and Major Ada Pederson, a psychiatrist who asks her to be part of an off base women's clinic for the locals of Kandahar.
- Rebecca saves a wounded Taliban leader only to have him kidnapped from the hospital. His presence at the hospital sets off an enemy attack.
- Rebecca fears she is pregnant and will be sent home. She runs a test but Dr. Trang comes across the results. She isn't pregnant but there may be another problem and more tests will need to be run.