On this intense episode of Southland:
- John and Ben are called to a domestic disturbance where Ben assumes the man has hit the woman. Because of his assumption he doesn’t secure the woman and she burns the man with the contents of a frying pan on the stove. John calls Ben out for his sloppy police work.
- John thinks Ben has become overconfident and has him take the lead for the rest of the day. Ben can’t seem to do anything right. He gives a death notification to the wrong person. He turns his back on a suspect he’s cuffed and the man runs away. Then he fails to secure a man high on PCP to the gurney allowing him to break out of the ambulance.
- Lydia is called to back up two detectives. The Lieutenant feels they need assistance and it’s clear they aren’t taking the murder of Artis, a crack dealer seriously. Lydia takes the lead in the investigation as Josie is in Court.
- Lydia interviews Artis’ wife. She says he always wore a golden gloves necklace. John and Ben arrest a drug dealer wearing the necklace. He says he was paid to kill Artis by Gizmo because Artis stole Gizmo’s Playstation. That’s when Lydia realizes that Gizmo is actually Artis’ fourteen years old nephew Bryan. Lydia realizes they don’t have enough evidence to arrest Bryan but drops by to tell Bryan and his mother that they’ll be watching and they’ll get him eventually. Bryan's mother is furious. How will they get any business done with the police watching them?
- Nate and Sammy arrive at the scene of a man who was murdered while buying a birthday cake for his son. His two children and one other woman witnessed the shooting.
- Sammy is distracted throughout the case by the situation with his soon to be ex-wife. When he and Nate track down their witness, Sammy takes a cell phone call and disrupts the interview. The witness refuses to ID the shooters. Later, Nate manages to convince the woman to give a statement and they are able to arrest the shooter.
- At the end of their shift, a gang member throws a bottle at Nate and Sammy’s car. They get out to have a talk. Just as it appears the situation is under control, someone comes up behind Nate and hits him in the back of the head with a bat. As Nate lies bleeding on the ground, a crowd forms, kicking and beating him. Sammy shoots into the crowd and desperately tries to drag Nate’s body to safety. Backup finally arrives and Nate is taken to the hospital where he is pronounced dead. His wife sobs in Sammy’s arms.