Thursdays 8:00 PM on CW
Prime_large
The-vampire-diaries
394 posts
Leon-alexis

omg I know right??  Did I say beautiful? Oh,I'm sorry. I meant, perfect hips.

Posted at

are we supposed to have feelings about elena’s red streaks because the thought of her mixing up bleach and rinsing it out and then getting dye and putting that in her hair is doing nothing to convince me she is a massive badassLMAOWell, with all due respect she DOES look good.

But the problem is - if yout ake Kristen Stewart and apply make up she will also manage to look good. 

But that does not change the fact that there's no character, no personality, no history behind the character - there's nothing to relate, nothing that developed, nothing that grew. Bella Swan ina  pretty dress is still bella Swan. 

Posted at
1565 posts
Amie

Lol, I remember the time when I was trying to be all rebellious and grown up - back when I was 11 tho...had blond dye strips in my hair and painted my nails blue...Dad went insane.

But you go girl, I suggest going goth next and painting nails black and maybe a few piercings....

Posted at
3442 posts
Dancing-eyes

That post wasn't about her looking good,it was about her being a badass which she clearly isn't and even if she did become one,it isn't out of her own free will,not her decision.Its what Damon thought was best for her and made her do it.good to see Damon's rape-y midset still hasn't changed.As much as i hate her,i gotta say Elena's life is tragic as fuck,even after all this time,all that she's suffered through,people still don't think she's strong enough,everyone still coddles her and handles her with kid gloves.She doesn't get to make any decisions about her life,the salvabros are always there making those for her,she pretty much had no control over her life before but now she is sired to the person who prolly has the worst influence on her.Tragic life is tragic.

Posted at

"badassery" just like "beauty" is a superficial writing element that is pretty much governed by certain writing tropes that people perceive as "awesome". You can make any  character act that way, but what makes it WORK is the reasoning behind it and the viewer being able to relate to the character.

Let's make a comparison, with one of more controversial characters, Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly - some people call him misogynist, some people call him an anarchist, some people call him a bandit and some a sociopath - but everyone can't deny that every scene he has has a lot of badassery involved. 

When Malcolm Reynolds kicks a person into a giant fan to prove a point, we know exactly why and HOW it fits his character. 

The act of doing that is sure badass, but is it more badass that it was done or that HE did it? THe answer is most of cases is the latter. Sure the act itself is badass, but what makes it work is the character history of said character.

In the same way, burning your own house to leave your past behind is actually GREAT(in fact I can think of at least three or four works of fiction who pulled it off in an awesome way). The problems begin in characterization and world-building

When Mal blows up a town or kicks someone into a giant fan, we know that no one will come looking for those people due to how scarcely populated and wild-west-y the universe is built up. When Elena burns down a house in the middle of town, by all accounts a bunch of police and fire dept. trucks would get there within few seconds of it starting. So yeah. No build up = no believability. All Mal does, he does because of who he is. Every action he does, its on him and builds his character. Every action taken can fire back at him. Elena on other hand Elena did not have a right of consent during the said scene and THAT  takes away any sort of impact it would have on her character and how one perceives her.  Being from the side of civil war that has lost, every act of carnage is like a "take that" message for Mal, being a surviving soldier from a war adds its own perks of ptsd and fucked upness, so every action of "badassery" he would take is meaningful and builds upon what happened before - with Elena that's simply impossible, because guess waht? Just a season ago she was does-no-wrong holy messiah who never made mistakes, never had any flaws, forgave every single person she ever met and redeemed every person she touched(halelujah!~....) There's absolutely no build up for her doing ANYTHING badass(well except that ones cene in S2 where she was badass and tricked Elijah, but even that scene has been drowned by a shitload of holy-does-no-wrong-honest-steffie's-love-interest bullshit)

So yeas, to cut it short - beauty and badassery in my comment are inter-changeable. Its what comes before that what makes it work. 

And nothing comes before TV-Bella-Swan. 

Posted at
23 posts

I'm late on this forum. I came on to find out why so many comments about Klaroline/Forwood, but is finding out that it's also commenting on Elena, Damon, etc. However, I'm happy about it becuz their is so many other forums about shows other than TVD. Anyway, is Elena gping to be sporting the red streaks in her hair on the show?

Posted at
10980 posts
Floralovesgurlplz

Yeah she is on that episode, it reminds me of when Rebekah got pink streaks. 

Posted at
3442 posts
Dancing-eyes
^Omg me too,she looked so pretty too.What happened to that?lol.
Posted at
10980 posts
Floralovesgurlplz

Yeah she got rid of it after homecoming

Posted at
3442 posts
Dancing-eyes
Freakin spam.BUMP.
Posted at

Post a Reply

You are posting as a guest. To post as a user, please Sign In or Register.

Guest posting is disabled in this forum. If you want to post, please Sign In or Register.

Want more The Vampire Diaries?

Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!

Vampire Diaries Quotes

You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger... I want you to get everything you're looking for. But for right now, I want you to forget that this happened. Can't have people knowing I'm in town yet. Goodnight, Elena.

Damon

Damon: You know what they are? Children. Like lighting a candle's going to make everything OK, or even saying a prayer. Or pretending Elena's not going to end up just like the rest of us murdering vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating little children. And I know what you're going to say: 'It makes them feel better, Damon.' So what? For how long? A minute, a day? What difference does it make? Because in the end, when you lose somebody, every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing you have left is hole in your life where that somebody that you cared about used to be. And a rock with a birthday carved into it that I'm pretty sure is wrong. So thanks, friend. Thanks for leaving me here to babysit. Because I should be long gone by now. I didn't get the girl, remember? I'm just stuck here fighting my brother and taking care of the kids. You owe me big.
Alaric: I miss you too, buddy.

x Close Ad