As American Idolâ€™s top ten gear up to hit the road for the summer concert tour, Phil Stacey waited to find out if his commanding Naval officers would give him the OK to pack his bags.
Now, a few short weeks after his elimination, Us Magazine has learned that the U.S. Navy has cleared the 29-year-old father of two to sing this summer.
Staceyâ€™s approval comes on the heels of his May 2 elimination, after which the sixth place finisher remained steadfast in his dedication and obligation to serve.
â€œMy primary responsibility is to the United States Navy,â€ he explained the day after his ouster. â€œThe possibility exists that theyâ€™ll need me for a mission. If thatâ€™s the case, Iâ€™m committed to following through with my commitment to the Navy.â€
Reached for comment last week, Bob Anderson, the Director of the Navy Office of Information, told Us that â€œ[the Navy] can sometimes make exceptions for it and find somebody else to do those jobs.â€ However, he reasons, â€œYou sign a contract to do a job for a certain amount of time and youâ€™re expected to do that job.â€
Todayâ€™s announcement is no doubt a relief for the Florida performer, who, while remaining dedicated to his duty, said it would â€œbreak [his] heartâ€ if he could not tour.
â€œ[The Navy] has been 100% flexible with me with American Idol, and theyâ€™ve been gems â€“ a huge support base for me,â€ Stacey says.
The American Idols Live! nationwide concert tour kicks off July 6 in Sunrise, Fla.