According to an internal Fox memo posted online, American Idol will have several changes to its format when it debuts next month.
The memo reveals the following:
- For its semifinal round, the eighth season will have 36 contestants instead of 24;
- The audition episodes will be reduced, while the pre-semifinal Hollywood round episodes will be increased;
- The wild card round will return, giving eliminated contestants the chance to compete for one of the top 12 finalist spots;
- The show's focus on bad auditions will be minimized;
- And “Idol Gives Back,” the show's charity telethon, will not air this year due to the economy.
Want more American Idol?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!