It was interesting to watch Beauty and the Beast Season 2 Episode 14 play out its central theme: that Vincent has to go.
Four characters made mention of it in one fashion or another, but only Gabe put it so bluntly. What did each have in mind?
Cat's endless struggle trying to come to terms with the breakdown of her relationship with Vincent appears to be never ending. The expectation that she would so quickly remove him from her mind, herself from his life and enter into a new relationship was fantastical, and yet that's what she set out to do -- unsuccessfully.
There has not been nearly enough time for either of them to move on from the intense connection they had, especially given the circumstances under which they parted. We've always known that, and Tess and J.T. have tried to get their BFFs to realize the error of their ways.
Vincent still jumped into something with Tori and Cat followed suit, fully aware that the pain she was feeling every time Vincent was near indicated she was far from ready to make the leap with Gabe. Gabe's heart was on his sleeve, but he appeared clued into Cat's need to separate herself from Vincent. Rather than risk losing her, Gabe leaped and now has to force the hand of Cat and Vincent's activities to save what he has with Cat.
What a ridiculously tangled web that could have been delivered in a cleaner, more introspective fashion.
Sure, it's fun to see romantic triangles, but the most fun we're getting out of this right now are the bro-code moments and chats between J.T. and Vincent. J.T. had all the best Beauty and the Beast quotes as he tries to get his pal's head in to the game. He faults Cat for breaking up with Vincent for being more beast than man when she wonders why he's choosing to help the non-beast Jacob Sutter rather than stopping the beastly one.
What did she expect? As it turned out, she had no idea. She's finally discovering how easily lines get blurred when you're in the heat of the moment. For the first time when she shot at a beast she didn't think of the man inside, and it was Vincent's first time thinking of the man lurking inside the beast. They're becoming more aligned, and yet they're father apart than ever. Go figure.
The hour started and ended with a dream. Vincent was gettin' it on with Cat at the opening and as the show came to a close, Cat imagined her conversation ending their friendship ended Vincent's life. Yep, Vincent's gotta go, but not quite like that!
It all comes down to Cat and Vincent. They need to rid themselves of the other people in their lives putting pressure on who they're supposed to be and work on who they want to be -- together. If they take a look, they'll notice they're more aligned than they thought, but they spent so much time listening the what others put in their heads they missed the reality of who they are together.
If they decide they're best apart or together or as friends -- any choice is alright as long as it's their decision.
Interesting bits 'n' bobs:
- I liked that they used the old worry about whether anybody would show up to your funeral with Gabe's faux death. What a crappy police force. You'd think they would have pulled out all the stops to prove he was really gone. Nope!
- I didn't realize what a success J.T.'s formula was to create a beast. If he can work that well under pressure, maybe he can do the same to cook up a cure.
- Gabe is the one who finally put together that Sam and the Tony Barnes they were looking for were the same person. That took too long.
- While it was absolutely ridiculous that Vincent only scribbled on a chart and sent an incoming patient to the ER, it was fun seeing him in the hospital and the trust his mentor had in him. If the show continued, stabilizing him as a doctor would keep things interesting.
- Did you notice that Cat and Gabe hadn't even made it home yet before Sam had found his next beast candidate from the orphanage? Did every kid end up living in New York City? That's ridiculous.
- I guess Dana Landon decided to go into witness protection?
- There wasn't any update on Tess and J.T. after Valentine's Day, other than their seating arrangement at the funeral. That's enough, right?
If you have missed any fabulous episodes of your favorite show, you can watch Beauty and the Beast online right here on TV Fanatic. There's no need to go anywhere else, you lucky beast!
Do you think Gabe will exit gracefully when Cat chooses Vincent?
Want more Beauty and the Beast?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!