Emily Owens, M.D. Quotes
We make all these plans about how things will turn out, but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had. We give up any illusions of control, and we deal head-on with problems that come our way.
- Permalink: We make all these plans about how things will turn out, but life...
Emily: I planned on being a together person, past all the crap, but I'm not past it. I keep finding myself in the exact same situations and I don't know how to stop it from happening.
Micah: I gave up the illusion of control, when was it? oh yeah. About halfway through my first year as an intern. Doctors can't plan, can we? We just react. The one thing you can control is how to react better. So, we learn from experience right? So next time, just do things differently.
- Permalink: I planned on being a together person, past all the crap, but I'm...
Okay, keep breathing. You are on a mountain leading seven delightful children in song.
- Permalink: Okay, keep breathing. You are on a mountain leading seven deligh...
Will: Stop judging me.
Emily: I'm not judging you. But if I were judging you, I'd be thinking that you should've waited for the results.
Will: But you're not...
Emily: Judging? No.
- Permalink: Stop judging me. I'm not judging you. But if I were judging yo...
Emily: When I want to escape, I think about Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music, twirling her skirt on top of that mountain.
Patient: Not working.
- Permalink: When I want to escape, I think about Julie Andrews in The Sound ...
Emily: For the record, I loved vampires before everyone else caught on.
Micah: Is this a point of pride?
Emily: Just a fact I am proud of because it happens to be true.
Micah: So you and Bram Stoker, huh? Pioneers of the genre?
Emily: See, that line really would've worked had you said Polidori. Look it up.
- Permalink: For the record, I loved vampires before everyone else caught on....
We all have faith in something. God, science, our partner, our self. We need certain things to be true. All our plans depend on it. Because in the absence of that...
- Permalink: We all have faith in something. God, science, our partner, our s...
Emily: We'll just take it slowly. The whole friendship thing.
Cassandra: Sounds good.
- Permalink: We'll just take it slowly. The whole friendship thing. Sounds ...
Cassandra: He's just so freaking sexy.
Emily: [to herself] No, please don't talk about...
Cassandra: You know? I was actually nervous about sleeping with him the first time.
Emily: [to herself] And there it is.
Cassandra: I thought it might be a let down. It's not.
- Permalink: He's just so freaking sexy. No, please don't talk about... ...
The truth is, guilt's not all bad. Sure it makes you do things you might not want to do, but it serves as a moral compass. It keeps us on course...so yeah, maybe guilt keeps us in check. that doesn't mean it's not a huge pain in the ass.
- Permalink: The truth is, guilt's not all bad. Sure it makes you do things y...
[to Emily] First, there's nothing wrong with guilt. I mean, right now I'd like to walk away and leave you here feeling bad because then maybe you'd mess up in the OR or something, but I'd feel bad about that. So instead I'm telling you everyone knows you're a good person. It's incredibly annoying. So clearly, whatever you did, you had good intentions because that's just who you are.Cassandra
- Permalink: First, there's nothing wrong with guilt. I mean, right now I'd l...
Cassandra: You're such a ridiculous person, Pitts. Why is it that I'm being so nice to you if you can't do me one simple favor?
Emily: Cassandra, how is it that you always know just what to say?
- Permalink: You're such a ridiculous person, Pitts. Why is it that I'm being...
Tyra: You've got your jocks, aka the orthopedic surgeons. Mean girls go into plastics. Your All-American, girl next door types, they're gonna be in OB. The true geeks, they're the neurologists. The rebels are in the ER. Stoners, anesthesia, and peds gets your sanctimonious church-goers.
Emily: How about us.
Tyra: Surgery's a melting pot, a little bit of everything, which basically means none of us get along.
- Permalink: You've got your jocks, aka the orthopedic surgeons. Mean girls g...
I wasn't one of those kids who thrived in high school. I was geeky. Alright, I was very geeky...high school was rough. But, you know what got me through? The knowledge that I'd outgrow all those feelings of insecurity and inEmily
- Permalink: I wasn't one of those kids who thrived in high school. I was gee...