- A marine, Connor Maslin, is accused of killing a Japanese tourist on the subway.
- He claims that it was self-defense.
- The NCIS team doubts Maslin's story after they find lots of holes in it, in particular, that Maeko Tanaka is his girlfriend and in California
- The team track down her father, Akio Tanaka, and he claims his daughter is in Japan.
- The team becomes suspicious when Mr. Tanaka has the State Department end their investigation.
- The team goes undercover and without authorization to try and find Maeko.
- In the end, they find Maeko being smuggled out of the country by her father, reunite her with Maslin, and submit to have his record cleared with an Honorable Discharge.