Now that's what I call a season premiere! The Venture Bros. came back with style last night as the major storylines were told out of chronological order.
At the Venture compound, Nazis kidnapped Dr. Venture, while Hank and Dean tried to adjust to life with their new bodyguard, Sgt Hatred, who, combined with Dr. Orpheus eventually helped the boys rescue their father.
Meanwhile, we meet up with Brock Samson shortly after the explosion of the Monarch mobile and we see his transition from being saved by OSI to becoming a member of an organization known as SPHINX.
You can catch up with the complete events of the episode in correct chronological order in our "Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel" recap.
Along the way we were treated to almost all the aspects that makes The Venture Bros. so amazing, well except for maybe the Monarch. Definitely could have gone for more Monarch than just the flashback at the start.
However, the amazing postives included:
- Brock just jumping out of the OSI plane with seemingly no plan, only to steal a flying soldier's hovercraft on the way down. Vintage Brock.
- Reusing Hunter's doctor and his shock when Brock wanted his metal heart out... they're all the rage now thanks to Iron Man. Too funny.
- Sgt Hatred went from being a creepy bastard to a really funny character! Referencing two eighties shows while trying to discipline Hank? Awesome.
- Although the out of chronological story-telling was confusing at first, it's great to re-watch and use the comic book's value and Hank's hair as orientation. Very clever.
- Bringing Hunter back as a good-guy that was doubling cross the Black Hearts and introducing a fourth secret organization? Holy crap.
- I really hope Henchman 21 finds a way to get his friend back, but until then I love his army of henchmen with foil weapons. Hehe.
- Dr. Orpheus admitting he calls himself a Necromancer only because it's the coolest of the wizarding titles? Amazing.
Now for some of our favorite Venture Brothers quotes from the episode:
Hank: Is it just me or does every Nazi want to clone Hitler? It's like the only they think about
Srgt. Hatred: It seems that way, right. I guess when everyone hates you, you just fixate on making rotten Hitlers | permalink
Hank: You are not the boss of me
Sgt Hatred: Au contraire, I am tony danza to your spunky Alyssa Milano. I am full on Charles In Charge of you | permalink
Hank: I have it figured out that if I can just skim Pop's belt buckle, the bullet will ricochet off it and kill the guy with the gun.
Sgt. Hatred: Hank, I will give you so much money to not shoot your dad | permalink
Dean: Will you two stop it!
Sgt. Hatred: When the going gets tough, that boy always gets going | permalink
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.Tags: Venture Brothers, Reviews
Want more Venture Brothers?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!