No More Good Days
FlashForward Season 1 Episode 1 (09/24/09)
What did you see? Expect that question to be asked frequently over the next few weeks, as FlashForward premiered this week with an intriguing premise:
Everyone on the planet blacked out at 11 a.m. on the same day. They remained unconscious for two minutes and 17 seconds, each seeing a vision of themselves in the future during that time; these visions took place on April 29, 2010 at 10 p.m. PST.
The action in this episode picked up with FBI agent Mark Benford in an overturned car, climbing ouf of it and seeing the chaos that such a worldwide blackout can create. Every car on the highway had crashed into one another; people were injured; people were dead; helicopters had flown into building; a kangaro was hopping down the street (seriously!).
When Mark returned to FBI headquarters, he was placed in charge of figuring out what the heck is going on with these flash forwards. Why him? Because he actually saw himself doing that exact thing - frantically trying to figure out various clues in his office - during his future vision. Mark was also drinking in this leap forward, a problem for a recovering alcoholic whose wife has threatened to leave him if he falls off the wagon.
So that's Mark Benford's flash forward. The best way to finish this recap is by reviewing what the other main characters saw...
- Demetri Noh, Mark's engaged partner, saw nothing. Just blackness. He's afraid this means he'll be dead in six months.
- Olivia, Mark's surgeon of a wife, saw herself with another man. She had no idea who he was; but viewers later man him: named Lloyd Simcoe, he's the father of a boy who was injured during the blackout chaos. Olivia saved his life. Oddly enough, when the boy first came into the hospital, he referred to Olivia by her first name.
- Bryce Varley, an intern under Olivia, was actually on the verge of killing himself when the black outs occurred. But he saw a vision of himself alive in six months and is now inspired by the fact the fate seems to want him breathing.
- Aaron Stark is Mark's AA sponsor and friend. He flashed forward and somehow saw his daughter Tracy... alive! She had been killed two years ago as a Marine in Afghanistan, or so he's been told by DNA evidence.
- Stan Wedeck, Mark and Demetri's FBI boss, was simply sitting on the toilet, reading the newspaper. One headline said Kobe Bryant tore a ligament and was out for the year.
- Janis Hawk works with Mark and Demetri. She was getting a pre-natal sonogram in her vision, even though she doesn't even have a boyfriend in the present day.
That covers all of the characters whose visions were revealed on this episode. Olivia and Mark also have a daughter named Charlie, who told her babysitter (Nicole, who thinks the flash forwards were an act of God) that she had a "bad dream" during the blackout. She woke up and said there will be "no more good days," which is the name of this episode.
At the conclusion of it, Janis shows something incredible to Demetri. It's footage from a security camera at a baseball stadium in Detroit. Everyone is blacked out, of course. Except for one man. He's walking around, dressed in black, looking suspicious.
We're not left wondering what he saw; but, rather: WTF?!?