As hopefuls such as Melinda Doolittle yearn to land on this list in the future, let's take a look at past American Idol contestants and their current radio popularity:
- Daughtry: It's Not Over is hanging in there at 8 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, the overall multi-format grab-bag. It was No. 8 last week and has no bullet, exactly the same story as on the similar national radio airplay audience chart USA TODAY uses.
- Carrie Underwood: Before He Cheats is still moving up on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, 34-30, after 29 weeks (it's been as high as 23), while the newer Wasted is up 36-34. On the Pop 100, Cheats is up 29-26, and it moves 18-15 on Adult Top 40. Meanwhile, Wasted goes 3-3 with a bullet on the Country chart.
- Katharine McPhee: still can't crack the Hot 100 Airplay chart with Over It, but she's up 28-27 (bullet) on the Pop 100 and regains a bullet with a 37-37 move on the Adult Top 40 chart after falling from 32 the previous week.
- Jennifer Hudson: Sashays sideways 58-58 (no bullet) on the Hot 100 Airplay chart with And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going. The Dreamgirls song is down 17-19 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart, where it peaked at No. 14, but it's 3-3 with a bullet on the Adult R&B list.
- Fantasia Barrino: Her new one, When I See U, is up 31-27 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart, and 17-16 (bullet) on the Adult R&B chart.
- Ruben Studdard: Change Me is still on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart (36-43 after 34 weeks) and the Adult R&B chart (7-8 after 35 weeks and a previous residency at No. 1). The newer Make Ya Feel Beautiful is up 48-45 on the R&B/Hip-Hop listing and 12-12 (bullet) on Adult R&B.
- Bucky Covington: A Different World breaks into the top 30, 32-28, which is normally a good sign that it's a legitimate airplay hit. It's taken 11 weeks to accomplish that feat, not unusual in the world of this slow-moving chart.
- Kellie Pickler: Her second single, I Wonder, also cracks the top 30 barrier, 33-30, after eight weeks.
- Taylor Hicks: Takes a big jump with Just to Feel That Way on the AC chart, 25-20, after being mired at 25 for two weeks.
- Kimberley Locke: Change is zooming up the AC chart, 19-13