"One for three off the roof, bitch!"
Last night, a super villain was literally built on Archer. In a ridiculous parody of the Six Million Dollar Man, Archer's nemesis, Barry, was rebuilt as a cyborg by the Russians for no apparent reason. The dude was just missing a leg. But for some bizarre reason, he was given a new eye, arm, and robotic organ system. Ridiculous?
More like ridiculously awesome. This is Archer. And this is kind of silliness we've come to expect and love from this spy comedy. And that silliness made "Double Trouble" one of the funniest episodes in the show's history.
No, it doesn't need to make sense why they'd rebuild an ODIN agent and send him to retrieve Katya Kazanova versus sending in one of their sleeper cells. Nor why they sent him to America without even instructing him of his mission. But hey, when you sow the wind, you reap the Barry.
And reap the Barry they did. The finale led to an explosive climax you never saw coming. (Is no one gonna touch that?) Sure, there was no way they were going to let Archer settle down and marry Katya, but did you see them killing off the first woman Archer ever loved?
Well, I for one, am pretty glad they did. Without all Archer's harlots from her to Hanoi, where would we get our weekly pre-paid venereal disease prostitution jokes? Plus, I'm sorry, that heavy breathing, supposedly sexy Russian voice would drive me nuts over time.
If she were going to live, I wanted to personally buy her the little device that Nikolai Jakov's assistant uses to turn off his Russian accent at will. Maybe Krieger can bring that stateside now that he learned the Russians already have his cyborg technology first.
Plus, I have to admit, a part of me felt bad for Pam if Archer married Katya. I know it's tough to have sympathy for any characters on this show, but if there's one you could ever feel sorry for, it'd be Lana. Poor girl just got tricked into thinking Archer still had feelings for her and had cancer sex with him!
Then a few short episodes later, he's marrying a blond bombshell he barely knows. Poor Lana. Sorry, I forgot I was watching Archer and not Gossip Girl. Let me turn down the 'shipping fan girl in me. Sorry, where was I? Probably just about to end this.
So I can't wait to see where season three takes us with a more powerful nemesis for single-again Archer. Oh thank goodness FX is teasing us with three episodes in the Fall. Waiting until 2012 might have killed me.
Until then, we'll end season two by going over our favorite Archer jokes from the episode:
- Pretty much any scene involving Krieger, his virtual wife, or his S.S. Date Rape.
- And yes Krieger, I love Rush.
- Obligatory Archer drinking quote: "If I stop drinking all at once, I'm afraid the cumulative hangover will kill me."
- "Does Canada even have a spy agency?" Glad Canada got to share some of the pain with Russia.
- Cancer sex. So glad they referenced the two of the greatest episodes in television.
- Also glad to see Pam's pool ball talent back, even if it did come back to bite her in the ass.
- "Katya doesn't have VD." "You haven't had sex with her?" Haha, that was actually pretty good, Malory.
- And, of course, the return to the former glory days of Archer threatening Woodhouse, the man that raised him.
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.Tags: Archer, Reviews