Absolutely nothing goes right for Mitch and Cam on Modern Family Season 5 Episode 23.
Weddings on comedies are supposed to fall apart, that’s part of the fun, right?
I still think this one it going to go down in the history of TV weddings as one of the most unlucky ever. Once Cam and Mitch do actually tie the knot, they’ll know they are really meant to be after overcoming all these obstacles.
First up, we had Claire going to pick up Luke from camp and insisting they had time for a little mother/son boating. That of course left them literally up a creek without a paddle, but as this show does so well, there was more behind the comedy.
It turned out that Claire was worried she and her son were growing apart and she wanted to make sure that didn’t happen.
Manny: Hey mom, can you see this?
Gloria: What pimple?
- Permalink: What pimple?
Next up, Phil and Alex were sent on two easy errands that turned out not be easy at all. Actually, to be fair, they really were easy errands, but when you’re with a guy like Phil you have to learn to expect the unexpected. It might have been wrong, but I had to applaud his ingenuity and the fact he used his temporary almost-blindness to get the wedding gift.
Sadly, Jay was still not comfortable with his son marrying another man, but to make matters worse he and Gloria somehow managed to put Cam’s parents at odds with each other. Breaking up one of the groom’s parents on his wedding day is really not a great idea.
Mitchell: Hey, Best Man.
Claire: Hello, blushing bride.
Mitchell: I feel like I should hate that more.
- Permalink: I feel like I should hate that more.
Haley was the only one who really didn’t get herself in any kind of trouble. She just volunteered to take Andy to the airport, but it became more of a mercy mission when she found out that his girlfriend didn’t want him to come in the first place.
Finally, there were the grooms themselves who had the most trouble. They had to pick up a suit, rescue their daughter from a vicious dry cleaning rack, and rush to get to their ceremony four hours earlier than they originally planned.
Oh calm down. This canât be the first time you've woken up with other men in your bedroom.Pepper
The guys made it and as they began to take their first step down the aisle the fire department came and said they had to evacuate. TV weddings, you just can’t trust them.
My favorite bits:
- Sal confusing an intervention with being asked to officiate at Mitchell and Cameron’s wedding. Potato, po-tah-to.
- Haley using Andy’s fear of flying against him. That girl is diabolical.
- Mitchell wondering why the fuchsia gown didn’t clue Cameron in to the fact that he’d picked up the wrong dry cleaning order.
- The various names Mitchell and Cameron ran through before discovering their dry cleaner’s name was actually Jerry.
- Phil and Alex in those hats.
- Jay and Merle not being able to explain the wedding to the men in the sauna. So sad.
- Cameron remarking that 911 had an attitude when they wouldn’t help him get his suit.
- Not being able to decide which made me laugh harder: The sight of Lily gliding by on the dry cleaning rack or the sound of the guys’ screams when they saw it.
- All the maneuvers the guys went through to keep Jerry occupied so they could get Lily out.
- Phil playing blind to get the bowl and Alex backing him up. Awesome father/daughter moment.
- Luke snagging a tree to pull the boat to shore.
- Poor Eddie believing that Sal was only four months along.
- The fire department stopping Cameron and Mitchell before they could walk down the aisle. Oh noes!
Do you think the wedding will actually happen in the finale or will we have to wait until next season?