American Idol Season 8 Episode 33
Rat Pack Performance Night
It was an entertaining evening of American Idol performances this week.
The five finalists all impressed judges and viewers with renditions of Rat Pack classics from the 1960s, while we even enjoyed the show's guest mentor for the first time all season. Jamie Foxx was surprisingly attention to each singer, displaying enthusiasm for their auditions and offering helpful advice.
As for the performances themselves...
- Kris Allen opened the show with "The Way You Look Tonight." Every judge said he set the bar extremely high for his fellow finalists.
- Allison Iraheta went next. She went with "Someone to Watch Over Me" and was told by Kara DioGuardi that "if that doesn't land you in the finals, I don't know what will."
- Matt Giraud is likely in the most trouble, but his rendition of "My Funny Valentine. would have been among the top performances most week. He simply faced stiff competition this time around.
- After hearing Danny Gokey sing "Come Rain Come Shine," Randy Jackson told the crooner: "You are the only one I've heard so far tonight that actually could have an album of songs like that." High praise indeed.
- Of course, Jackson hadn't heard Adam Lambert sing at that point. The white-suited singer belted out a version of "Feeling Good" that caused Paula Abdul to compare him to Michael Phelps. And it actually made sense!