Off the Map Season 1 Episode 1
Saved by the Great White Hope
On the series premiere of Off the Map...
- Three young doctors arrive to start work at La Clinica Cruz del Sur, located somewhere in South America. They were picked from hundreds of applicants by the clinic’s founder Dr. Ben Keeton. The docs first day has them helping remove a live stingray from a man’s foot.
- Lily Brennan specializes in Emergency Medicine. She came prepared with her own trauma pack, which prods Ben to pick her to tag along on a field assignment. A tourist, Ed has been injured on a zip line. Ed is dangling high above the trees while the zip line mechanism has cut into his arm.
- As Ed’s panicking threatens to take the zip line down with he and Dr. Brennan attached, Lily switches from sweet faced Girl Scout to experienced ER doc. She takes control of the situation and Ed, talking him through as she slices his arm free of the contraption.
- Back at the clinic Tommy Fuller, a plastic surgeon, asks Dr. Otis Cole if he can take his first day at the clinic off to “get his surf on.” Dr. Cole responds by sending Tommy on a house call to tend to a family fighting tuberculosis. When Tommy finally arrives at the village he finds that the wife has died. Her husband thought the medicine was making her worse and had her stop taking it. He won’t allow Tommy to treat his family, believing they will die too if he does.
- Tommy goes back to the clinic and tells Dr. Cole what happened. Tommy hands Otis a slip of paper. He had the sick man who understands no english sign it saying he refused treatment. Otis rips into Tommy, calling him a lazy party boy and tells him to go back to the village and treat his patients or don’t bother coming back.
- Tommy goes back the next day but the husband still refuses the medication even though his children are worse. Tommy is desperate. He tells the man how he skated through medical school, disappointed his family and has nowhere left to go back to. Even with the language barrier, Tommy’s sincerity seems to get through and the man allows him to treat his family.
- Mina Minard is back at the clinic helping Dr. Zee Alvarez. Dr. Alvarez is unimpressed with all of the new American doctors. They never last long. Mina specializes in infectious diseases and is here to find the next Ebola virus. She ends up spending her first day treating colds and tennis elbow but almost looses a patient when she mistakes a severe asthma attack for a virus.
- Mina finds Lily’s Girl Scout attitude annoying but in an effort to bond, shares that she lost a young patient to meningitis back home. She was exhausted, ambitiously working triple shifts to get ahead and misdiagnosed the child as suffering from the flu.
- Back to Lily’s patient Ed, he is recovering from surgery at the clinic and needs to be airlifted to the nearest hospital. Ed told Lily that he was here to scatter his late wife’s ashes in the firefly lake his wife loved. The lake has fluorescent algae and lights up when the water is disturbed resembling fireflies underneath the surface.
- Lily convinces Ben and the pilot to make a pit stop at the lake on the way to the hospital. Lily’s fiancé died several months ago and she understands Ed’s need to say goodbye in order to move on.