Are you a TV Fanatic?
Sign up for our daily newsletter to receive personalized television news for free!
The season premiere picked up right where the season finale concluded, and here is what went down:
- With Bonnie's permission, Damon gave Caroline his blood in order to save her. But later on, Bonnie made it clear she still ha serious issues with Damon and would take her vengeance on him when the time was right.
- Damon admitted to Stefan that he kissed Katherine, thinking it was Elena. Stefan didn't like hearing this, but Elena forced the brothers to focus in the task ahead: figuring out what Katherine wants. Stefan tried to get this out of her at the funeral for Mayor Lockwood, and Katherine said she came back for him. When Stefan replied by saying he hates her, Katherine stabbed him through the stomach and ran off. Damon wanted to fight Stefan, but he gave his brother a rational speech: they can't let Katherine get under their skin. They must band together to fight her.
- Elsewhere, Mayor Lockwood's brother, Mason, came to town. He hinted to Tyler that there's a family curse and that's why he can be so full of rage. But Mason has found a way to channel this temper.
- Finally alone with Katherine, Damon and her started going at it... until he stopped to ask how she truly felt about him. Katherine made it clear: she never loved him. It was always Stefan. This sent Damon over the edge. He got drunk, he confronted Elena about her quote about never wanting to kiss him and said she's lying to herself, there's something between them. But Elena also said she loved Stefan and Damon responded by attacking Jeremy. He snapped his neck and made it clear he didn't want to feel anything any more.
Jeremy, though, was wearing John's special ring and awoke at the end of the episode.
- The same can't be said for Caroline. Katherine visited her in the hospital and told her to send a message to the Salvatores: game on. She then suffocated Caroline with a pillow.