American Idol Album Sales Update
Here's the weekly American Idol sales report:
- 5-7 last week Daughtry (49,000; 2.36 million total): Daughtry is top Idol dog again, netting a two-point chart jump despite a 7% sales decline week to week.
- Carrie (44,000; 5.33 milion total): Carrie Underwood was nearly even with last week, possibly thanks to the Idol special, which gave her a huge boost in the digital songs arena..
- Bucky (23,000; 84,000 total): Big drop of 62%; that indicates Bucky's fan base went out and bought the album as soon as possible; further sales are likely to come in much smaller weekly increments.
- Elliott Yamin (9,100; 173,000 total): Off a fairly normal 13%, but unless something dramatic happens, we can forecast a ceiling of around 300,000 for this album. Not, considering all the factors, that that's a bad thing by any means.
- Kellie Pickler (6,400; 512,000 total): Despite the chart improvement, it was down 1% in sales, but that's not bad at all at this stage.
- Fantasia (5,800; 357,000 total): Enjoying a late resurgence of sorts (up 18% this week), perhaps attributable to The Color Purple publicity?
- Katharine McPhee (5,600; 311,000 total): Drops 19% in sales and takes a dive on the chart, and Over It didn't really become the kind of across-the-board pop hit she needed.
Off the chart:
- Taylor Hicks sold 1,700 (2,000 the previous week) for a total of 673,000. Ruben Studdard sold 1,000 (down from 1,200) for a total of 223,000. Clay Aiken sold 600 (same as the last couple of weeks) and is at 509,000. Kelly Clarkson sold 5,900 (up from 4,900 and enough to rank around No. 129 on the chart if it weren't ineligible by Billboard rules). Her total is 5.7 million.