How I Met Your Mother Review: "Last Cigarette Ever"
This week's episode of How I Met Your Mother was not nearly as funny as the last two episodes, but "Last Cigarette Ever" certainly hit the nail with both smokers and even the casual smoker. In a way only HIMYM could, Future Ted revealed something he hasn't told his kids for the last five seasons... Ted and the gang were smokers.
Of course, with any other sitcom we'd be yelling inconsistency. For How I Met Your Mother? It's just another classic example of Future Ted distorting the stories for his kids. Plus, if you're telling a story, how often does smoking a cigarette come up anyways? Like we said, with any other sitcom, this episode would have never worked, but we enjoyed this episode.
Outside the gang smoking, the only real plot advancement was getting to know Robin's future boyfriend, Don. Although he appeared like a tool at first, we ended up kind of liking the guy and his bantering with Robin. We'll probably judge relationship that Robin is in post-Barney extra harshly, but we'll try our best to give him a fair shot.
Some notes about what worked and didn't work from the episode:
- Harvey Fierstein as the voice of smoking Lily was a perfect choice. Perhaps the bit went on a little too long though.
- Bob Odenkirk is a hilarious man, but this time around, Marshall's boss did not make us laugh. His dog obsession was a little too creepy.
- Is it too obvious that they re-used the kids "What!?" scene? Should we care?
- I want to hate Don for dating Robin in the future, but I loved his "no pants" thing and it catching on around the set. When will Robin ditch them?
- How amazing were Barney's reasons for smoking? He's always pre-coital. Complete quote after the jump.
- Barney and Ted nailed the casual smoker, running outside to not feel left out.
- Is it just us or has Marshall been doing a little too much time traveling? Where is he hiding that DeLorean?
- Speaking of which, man how much does 13 year old Marshall age in just two short years until 15 year old Marshall in "The Window."
Now for our favorite How I Met Your Mother quotes from the episode after the jump.
Barney: I am not a smoker. I only smoke in certain situations: post-coital, when I'm with Germans, sometimes those two overlaps, coital, birthdays, to annoy my mom, pre-coital, on a sailboat, the day The Mets are mathematically eliminated every year, and, of course, wait for it, cause lord knows I have, pregnancy scares.
Ted: Why are you smoking right now?
Barney: I'm always pre-coital, Ted. | permalink
Barney: What do you think cigarettes are doing right now? Do you think they're thinking of us? | permalink
Ted: Come on, take it to the roof, we said no smoking after you torched the throw rug doing push ups.
Marshall: Yeah, God robin. Not only is that a filthy habit... but can I bum one? | permalink
Robin: See my show?
Ted: I meant to watch it. I was just so busy with the being asleep thing, it took eight hours right down the drain. | permalink
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.