The entire family arrived in Hawaii on the episode aptly titled "Hawaii" and provided viewers with a few lessons:
- Room with Manny if you're a "sophisticated" man interested in fire safety and picking up girls with virgin Mai Tais.
- Perfect the art of swimming, running and rowing if you're a relative of Gloria and wish to enter this country.
- Don't exercise too much with a bad back.
- Always warn your father-in-law, when lying face down across his front on a hammock, that it's just your wallet in your front pocket.
- Never dress your Vietnamese baby in jungle print when visiting local wild life.
- It's never too late to be romantic, even on a vacation with your children and in-laws.
Indeed, while all other bullet points referenced hilarious incidents from our favorite televised vacation in years, the final one was yet another example of what separates this sitcom from others on TV.
There was true sentiment at the heart of Phil and Claire's vow renewal, as Modern Family manages to deliver both laughs and emotion on a weekly basis. What other show can make you hug you wife closer, just moments after spitting up your Gatorade at the sight of Manny tsk-tsking an alien Luke, pictured above?
It's great stuff.
Read on for a rundown of Modern Family quotes from the week.
Mitchell: Why did you dress her in jungle print?
Cam: Because I thought it would be cute!
Mitchell: She's going to think she's back in Vietnam! | permalink
Luke: I had bread, I had cheese, and I had an iron. What was I supposed to do? | permalink
Gloria: I thought one of the advantages of marrying an older guy was that I was going to be able to relax. But all of this swimming and running and rowing, it's just like how some of my relatives got into this country! | permalink
Cameron: It would be like Lewis telling Clark that he didn't like to walk. Sidenote: We're very good friends with a couple named Lewis and Clark. Clark bought a big sparkly belt in New Orleans that he calls his Louisiana Purchase. | permalink
Cameron: He was a very nice man when we met him, but based on his recent letters I have a small fear he's become a war lord. | permalink
Jay: I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up | permalink
Manny: I noticed some lovely some lovely tweens down by the kids' club, maybe we can find a nice spot near them by the pool and send over a couple of virgin Mai Tais. They may be interested in two sophisticated men like us. | permalink
Phil: Just to be clear, I'm not condoning eating your kids, but I sure as heck know why giraffes do it.
Claire: What?!? | permalink