Chicago police have revealed a stunning new twist in the Jussie Smollett saga:
The Empire star is now officially a suspect for filing a false police report.
Chicago PD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi took to Twitter to confirm the news on Wednesday afternoon.
"Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony). Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury, the tweet reads.
Smollett sought medical and police assistance after the alleged attack in the early hours of January 29.
The actor said that two men approached him in the dead of night, and hurled both racist and homophobic remarks at him.
He also said that the men beat him, poured a substance over him, and put a noose around his neck.
Two suspects were later hauled in for questioning and were released without charge, but multiple reports have emerged that Jussie paid the two men to stage the attack because he was supposedly being written off Empire.
Smollett's lawyers were quick to issue a statement over the weekend when the case started to take a turn to deny Smollett had any part in the planning of the attack.
“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with," a statement released on Saturday reads.
"He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.”
There were even reports earlier this week that Smollett's presence on Empire was being reduced, with a musical number and multiple scenes cut from the penultimate installment of Empire Season 5.
However, Fox released a statement earlier today and confirmed the actor was not being written out of the show.
“Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set, and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show,” the statement said.
What are your thoughts on this latest development?
Hit the comments below.
Paul Dailly is the Associate Editor for TV Fanatic. Follow him on Twitter.