Where to even start in this recap? Let's hope I cover all that went down... because there was a lot!
- We quickly learn that Elena was taken a few hundred miles a way to an empty mansion. Her captors? Vampires named Trevor and Rose. Their reason for taking her? To negotiate their own freedom, as they've been running for 500 years from "the originals," mostly because Trevor helped Katherine escape back in the day. In order to be pardoned, they now want to offer up the blood of a doppleganger because it will break the sun and the moon curse.
Enter Elijah. He's been called by Rose in order to make the exchange of Elena for their freedom. Elijah agrees, but not before he beheads Trevor, tosses Elena vervain necklace aside and compels her to tell him that the moonstone is buried in the tomb with Katherine.
- At this, however, Damon and Stefan swoop in. They found Elena because Bonnie used a tracking spell. She also used her powers to send Elena a message, both acts that caused her nose to bleed and weakened her greatly. Jeremy was there when she passed out and these two bonded over how alone they feel.
But back to the mansion. The Salvatores double team Elijah and eventually stake him. They escape, happy that Elena is now safe, but also knowing that she's aware of her role in the vampire history and the curse and that they need to be on the same page in order to protect her. Stefan takes a big step in this direction by apologizing to Damon for turning him 145 years ago. He just wanted to be with his brother.
- This must have an effect on Damon, as he goes to Elena's, vervain necklace that he picked up in hand. Before he gives it to her, he tells her he loves her, but he doesn't deserve her. Stefan does. Damon kisses her on the forehead and, before giving her necklace back, compels her to forget what he just said. A very sweet, moving moment.
- Elsewhere, Caroline admits to Tyler that she's a vampire. But she says she's the only one and he cannot tell anyone else what they both are.
- This is how the episode ends: Rose stops by Stefan's house because Lexie told her he was "one of the good ones" a long time ago and she needs friendship. We then go back to the mansion, where Elijah removes the stake from his chest. Dude is totally alive still - and pissed.